WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you helping or hindering the health of your child?

3 posters

Go down

Are you helping or hindering the health of your child? Empty Are you helping or hindering the health of your child?

Post by SamCogar Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:24 am

So why are some parents so nervous about letting their children out of their sight? Are cities and towns less safe and kids more vulnerable to crimes like child abduction and sexual abuse than they were in previous generations?

Not exactly. New York City, for instance, is safer than it's ever been; it's ranked 136th in crime among all American cities. Nationwide, stranger abductions are extremely rare; there's a one-in-a-million chance a child will be taken by a stranger, according to the Justice Department. And 90 percent of sexual abuse cases are committed by someone the child knows. Mortality rates from all causes, including disease and accidents, for American children are lower now than they were 25 years ago. According to Child Trends, a nonprofit, nonpartisan research group, between 1980 and 2003 death rates dropped by 44 percent for children ages five to 14 and 32 percent for teens aged 15 to 19.

Then there's the whole question of whether modern parents are more watchful and nervous about safety than previous generations. Yes, some are. Part of the problem is that with wall-to-wall Internet and cable news, every missing child case gets so much airtime that it's not surprising even normal parental paranoia can be amplified. And many middle-class parents have gotten used to managing their children's time and shuttling them to various enriching activities, so the idea of letting them out on their own can seem like a risk. Back in 1972, when many of today's parents were kids, 87 percent of children who lived within a mile of school walked or biked every day. But today, the Centers for Disease Control report that only 13 percent of children bike, walk or otherwise get themselves to school. (That lack of physical activity has prompted the CDC to create outreach programs designed to get kids walking to school again, in an effort to combat the childhood obesity epidemic.)

http://www.newsweek.com/id/133103/page/2

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Are you helping or hindering the health of your child? Empty Re: Are you helping or hindering the health of your child?

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:32 pm

I remember saying, once, that our kids are safer than they have ever been.

I think I was told I had blinders on, or something like that...

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Are you helping or hindering the health of your child? Empty Re: Are you helping or hindering the health of your child?

Post by Stephanie Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:37 pm

I know I'm a paranoid mother. I make no apologies for it either.

Today my son spent a good 3 hours running his fool head off at a playground in Nitro. He's a little chubby, I refuse to make an issue out of it. I think it's a phase and I expect him to grow a few inches all at once. He does that, he gets chunky, then shoots up and looks thin.

I also know that as his mother, anything and everything that ever goes wrong in his life somebody will blame me for. I don't care about that either.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:33 am

I also know that as his mother, anything and everything that ever goes wrong in his life somebody will blame me for. I don't care about that either.

Nor should you care. All any of us can do is the best we can where we think our duties lie. If that is not good enough for some, hell with 'em.

I just wanted to point out that much of the legislation "for the sake of the kids" is based on fearmongering and it ends up stifling our rights as individuals.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:06 am

I just wanted to point out that much of the legislation "for the sake of the kids" is based on fearmongering and it ends up stifling our rights as individuals.

Now that I agree with!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down