WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GOP Summer Convention

4 posters

Go down

GOP Summer Convention Empty GOP Summer Convention

Post by Stephanie Tue May 20, 2008 12:02 am

We were sort of discussing this in some thread or another, but I can't find it. (That line makes me think of Eddie Murphy! LOL)

It's been a really, really loonnggg day so I'm getting goofy.

I will be a delegate to the GOP convention in Flatwoods on June 21st. My county's convention was this evening but Putnam still needs a few more delegates to fill all its slots. I know Kanawha County is still short too, they're practically begging.

Point is, if this is something that interests you, and you're a registered Republican, you could probably join me! No smoke, crappy food, long drive, but it's an experience, you know?

My primary reason for being a delegate is because the state platform will be determined that day. It's obvious the GOP is screwed with McCain this year, but we can still talk platform. There are some issues that are very important to me, and I know most of you have issues near and dear to your hearts.

Call your county chair if interested. Each county will have its own "convention" to select delegates. Even if your county has already held theirs, there may still be openings.

OK.....I'm done. Nite all!
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

GOP Summer Convention Empty Re: GOP Summer Convention

Post by Aaron Tue May 20, 2008 7:13 am

Did Putnam fill all of their slots?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 20, 2008 7:49 am

No, they did not. You have to be registered Republican. I think you said you were unaffiliated. If you're interested, I'll bet you could go to the town clerk, affiliate, and that would probably be ok.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue May 20, 2008 8:26 am

Let's see, I work about 50 hours a week at work plus reports and emails at home at night, volunteer with the baseball team at the school and am in the process of getting a kid off to college. Yeah, I think I can squeeze in some more time.

Who's the contact with the Putnam County Republicans and I'll look into it.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue May 20, 2008 11:10 am

Ron Stone is the Chair. His email is roncstone@usa.net

It's a one day event, Saturday June 21st.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:16 pm

How did the convention go Stephanie?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Well I dont know what she means about it being a bad year with McCain heading the ticket.

Hail I bet he carries wv by 20 points.

I figure even I could get elected this year if I had the rep nomination for something.

Sounds like she has gone to bed, anybody else got a clue what she meant?

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:17 pm

You must be responding to a post that's been deleted or your on the wrong thread Sherm. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:23 pm

"...It's obvious the GOP is screwed with McCain this year, but we can still talk platform. ..."

Well Aaron I dont know why they would delete posts going to you.

Did this one come through on your screen ok?

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:27 pm

It was very hot. lol It was held outside at this amphitheatre behind the Days Inn in Flatwoods.

I am not pleased with the platform that was adopted. I'm actually rather dismayed by it. The leadership in WV seems very interested in legislating morality, something I don't believe is a legitimate function of our government.

On the other hand.....

I had lots of time to talk with the candidates. Actually, I didn't speak to the guy running for Agriculture Commissioner, or whatever that office is, for more than a couple of minutes. I have always intended to ask our dear friend TerryRC for his thoughts before making a decision on that post.

I had decided months ago to vote for Dan Greer and Beth Walker, and after speaking with them am more convinced than ever they are the correct choices for those positions. Walker is committed to interpreting the law, not legislating from the bench. That's what I want in a judge. She has pledged not to rule on cases involving friends and big bux contributors and to decide cases on the merits, not upon who knows who and what they did for somebody last year or in 1987.

I also got to speak for quite a while to Charles Minimah. He was actually very impressive imho. I really liked him very much. I'm not sure his chances are very good, but he is the one candidate I made a commitment to....he has my full support and I will do whatever I can to get him elected.

I also had the opportunity to speak to Russ Weeks for a while. Not as long as the others, but a while. He gave a great speech. He's got a good message and I think he will be a good governor. My favorite part of his speech was when he listed the reasons why he won't tolerate people calling Joe Manchin a Republican in Democrats clothing etc. His arugments were compelling and I think if he can raise a little cash he and get some face time with people he will do a lot better than I had initially thought.

Finally, I spoke with (debate might be a better choice of words) Jay Wolfe. I told Mr. Wolfe I won't be voting for Jay Rockefeller but I won't be voting for him either. While I realize I didn't change his mind, I do think I made him understand my perspective.

One of the speakers was economist Maurice McTigue. I thought he was very informative and funny to boot. I would do it all over again just to hear that Kiwi speak. He offered a lot of insight, I hope they were listening......they appeared to be.

I covered myself with sunscreen and missed a couple of spots. Forgot about them. I'm going to have tanned ears and the right side of my neck. They should give me some misery for a couple of days.

They have included support for the death penalty in their platform. To make matters worse, they have incorporated language in support of trying juvenile felons as adults. So.......they want to execute kids? I motioned unsuccessfully to change that language.

Also, the executive committe UNANIMOUSLY voted for a resolution banning gay marriage, defining marriage as one man one woman blah blah blah. If we could get our government and our courts to restore liberty I wouldn't have a problem with same sex marriage. I think generally if you don't like same sex marriage you shouldn't marry someone from the same gender. My problem with it comes from the inevitable infringement on the liberties of others to follow their conscience and their moral compass etc...we've discussed this to death so you know what I'm talking about.

I think I covered almost everything.

btw......did I mention it was freaking hot baking out there in the sun???? lol
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:38 pm

Well what do you mean you are screwed with McCain heading the ticket.?

Do you actually think he wont win and carry the bottom of the ticket with him?

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:50 pm

*sighs*

I don't know if he will win or not. I don't think it really matters. Actually, I think it may be worse if he wins and "carries the bottom of the ticket with him"

Those that elected on McCain's coattails, assuming he acquires coattails, will be what he is and what he isn't is a conservative. He isn't a Taft Republican. He isn't a Goldwater Republican. He isn't even a Reagan Republican. He's a neo-con. We don't need any more of those now do we?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Well I just figured you being a delegate and all you would want to see republicans elected.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:46 am

I had lots of time to talk with the candidates. Actually, I didn't speak to the guy running for Agriculture Commissioner, or whatever that office is, for more than a couple of minutes. I have always intended to ask our dear friend TerryRC for his thoughts before making a decision on that post.

Larry Beckerly?

Old money in that family but he doesn't know much about agriculture, in my opinion. Shows every time he runs for the job (this isn't the first time).

He is running because he wants quail farms all over the state.

Fine, and all, but seems like kind of a one issue platform.

Regardless, this is just my opinion.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:30 am

shermangeneral wrote:Well I just figured you being a delegate and all you would want to see republicans elected.

I am a Republican because generally I agree with Republican principles....limited government, protection of the unborn, civil rights etc. That doesn't mean I think all those who run under the banner of the GOP are the best candidates, or even true Republicans. John McCain is not someone I can vote for. I have been making that quite clear for some time now.

I vote for individuals. I have never voted a straight party ticket. I make my own decisions. I don't allow any party or any party's executive committee or other voters make my decisions for me.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:34 am

TerryRC wrote:

Larry Beckerly?

Old money in that family but he doesn't know much about agriculture, in my opinion. Shows every time he runs for the job (this isn't the first time).

He is running because he wants quail farms all over the state.

Fine, and all, but seems like kind of a one issue platform.

Regardless, this is just my opinion.

No......perhaps Larry gave up, or maybe the WVGOP gave up on Larry.

http://www.miketeetsforwv.com/

Mike Teets is the candidate this year.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content