WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An “air lock” inspirational Lesson for TerryRC

2 posters

Go down

An “air lock” inspirational Lesson for TerryRC Empty An “air lock” inspirational Lesson for TerryRC

Post by SamCogar Tue May 20, 2008 4:38 am

Terry, in that I am fairly confident that you have refused to believe me concerning the “origin” of ideas, ……. aka: the idea of “air locks” being triggered from reading Jules Verne’s novel, ……. I found this article in the morning paper that you might find educational in both inventiveness and an odd and different evolved insectivore retardant.

To wit:

Beetle's toxic blasts trigger innovation

Scientists inspired by creature's unusual defense system

A beetle’s chemical warfare against marauding ants, birds and frogs has provided the inspiration for a European effort to design more efficient fire extinguishers, reliable pharmaceutical sprays and fuel-injection engines.

The bombardier beetle’s toxic blasts of boiling-hot poison could even provide the impetus for mini rocket boosters to keep a spacecraft on the right trajectory, according to Andy McIntosh, a professor of thermodynamics and combustion theory at University of Leeds in the United Kingdom.

Found mainly in Africa and Asia, the bombardier beetle owes its unusual defense system to a chemical concoction that mixes in an abdominal chamber and then explodes out through a kind of release valve in a series of high-pressure, rapid-fire squirts aimed directly at attacking predators.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24637825/

Bombardier Beetle

An “air lock” inspirational Lesson for TerryRC Beetle10

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

An “air lock” inspirational Lesson for TerryRC Empty Re: An “air lock” inspirational Lesson for TerryRC

Post by TerryRC Thu May 22, 2008 5:23 am

Sam, just so you know, there are a number of such beetles native to North America. They are in the genus Brachinus.

MSNBC makes an error when they say they are found mainly in Africa and Asia.

It is an effective protectant against small insectivores. Big ones can get over it and fast ones are, well... just too fast.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

An “air lock” inspirational Lesson for TerryRC Empty Re: An “air lock” inspirational Lesson for TerryRC

Post by SamCogar Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 am

TerryRC wrote:Sam, just so you know, there are a number of such beetles native to North America. They are in the genus Brachinus.

MSNBC makes an error when they say they are found mainly in Africa and Asia.

It is an effective protectant against small insectivores. Big ones can get over it and fast ones are, well... just too fast.

Well now TRC, you are quite the presumptious one in assuming that it was MSNBC who was referring to the genus Brachinus which has forty to fifty North American species ..... when their inspiration was a European effort.

And why did you choose to "pick on" and criticize MSNBC ......... and completely ignore the subject of my post? geek geek geek

And ps: Twice, two (2) times, I referenced the Bombardier Beetle in two (2) different posts addressed to your attention, ...... which I wouldn't have done if I was not familiar with their unique defense mechanism ..... because my comments were based on said mechanism.

TRC, quit trying to impress others by repeating something back to me that I already know. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Bombardier Beetles are ground beetles (Carabidae) in the tribes Brachinini, Paussini, Ozaenini, or Metriini—more than 500 species altogether—that are most notable for the defense mechanism that gives them their name: They can fire a mixture of chemicals from special glands in their abdomen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_beetle

Classification
Kingdom Animalia (Animals)
Phylum Arthropoda (Arthropods)
Class Insecta (Insects)
Order Coleoptera (Beetles)
Suborder Adephaga (Ground and Water Beetles)
Family Carabidae (Ground Beetles)
Subfamily Brachininae
Tribe Brachinini
Genus Brachinus (Bombardier Beetle)

http://bugguide.net/node/view/16725

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Sat May 24, 2008 7:01 am

Sam, insects have been the inspiration for hundreds of things.

I figured that was so obvious it didn't require comment.

Your source was msnbc and this bit (...found mainly in Africa and Asia, the bombardier beetle...), was incorrect. There are bombardier beetles all over the world. Same family, same mechanism, different genera

That is why those of us in the field avoid common names. They can cause confusion.

I think I did tell you something that you didn't know... and I had to learn it before there was much in the way of internets.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat May 24, 2008 1:45 pm

TerryRC wrote:Sam, insects have been the inspiration for hundreds of things.

I figured that was so obvious it didn't require comment.

YADA, .... YADA, ..... YADA

And you are still damn sure that NO WAY in hell could Captain Nemo's submarine be an inspiration to anyone for the idea of an "airlock", ...... RIGHT.

And that makes sense to you because ......... any fool knows that a submarine is not an insect .......... and only insects are inspirational. Razz Razz Razz

TRC, your choice for studying insects has become quite obvious to me.

It was most probably because of the many species that mimic and prey upon those species that they mimic. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

TerryRC wrote:Your source was msnbc and this bit (...found mainly in Africa and Asia, the bombardier beetle...), was incorrect. There are bombardier beetles all over the world. Same family, same mechanism, different genera.

TRC, apparently you don't have a f'ing clue what the difference is between "found mainly in" ....... and ..... "(found) all over the world".

"The Chinese people are found mainly in China .... but they are also found all over the world". How was that for a "clue" little man? geek

TerryRC wrote:That is why those of us in the field avoid common names. They can cause confusion.

I think I did tell you something that you didn't know... and I had to learn it before there was much in the way of internets.

TRC, at one time I was quite the "expert" on the use of Grey's Manual of Botany, and that was before the word "computers" was commonly used or the concept of the Internet was even a dream ........ and you were still an "egg" in one of your mother's ovaries.

And you are going to "tell me something" about taxonomy and/or the classification of plant and animal species. lol! lol! lol!

Dream on little man, .... dream on.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Sun May 25, 2008 7:36 am

TRC, at one time I was quite the "expert" on the use of Grey's Manual of Botany, and that was before the word "computers" was commonly used or the concept of the Internet was even a dream ........ and you were still an "egg" in one of your mother's ovaries.

And that makes you an entomology expert how?

And you are going to "tell me something" about taxonomy and/or the classification of plant and animal species.

Did you know that the two insect orders, Hemiptera and Homoptera are now one order called Heteroptera?

Taxonomy changes. You have to keep up with it. Did you know that the tree hole mosquito has been moved to a new genus, from Aedes triseriatus to Ochlerotatus triseriatus and it is one of the biggest vectors of Lacrosse encephalitis in this state?

I could tell you tons of things about animal and plant taxonomy but I doubt you would listen.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 am

TerryRC wrote:TRC, at one time I was quite the "expert" on the use of Grey's Manual of Botany, and that was before the word "computers" was commonly used or the concept of the Internet was even a dream ........ and you were still an "egg" in one of your mother's ovaries.

And that makes you an entomology expert how?

The same way it makes you an endocrinology expert, that’s how.

And you are going to "tell me something" about taxonomy and/or the classification of plant and animal species.

Did you know that the two insect orders, Hemiptera and Homoptera are now one order called Heteroptera?

Was that to appease the bisexual queers or to piss them off? Razz Razz Razz

Taxonomy changes. You have to keep up with it. Maybe you do but I don't. Did you know that the tree hole mosquito has been moved to a new genus, No I didn't, no reason to know it. from Aedes triseriatus to Ochlerotatus triseriatus and it is one of the biggest vectors of Lacrosse encephalitis in this state? And I assume that was the reason it was moved to the other genus. Is that not PART OF YOUR JOB to be finding out what "causes" such vectors, .... the "carriers" of such infectious diseases within the State? Do you have any "claims of fame" of any such discoveries as yet?

I could tell you tons of things about animal and plant taxonomy but I doubt you would listen. NO, you can't. You can tell me tons of things about known species being re-classified, newly discovered species being classified and new species that have yet to be classified, ...... but telling me something about taxonomy is akin to telling me something about a dictionary.

GEEEZE, TRC, they are finding so many new species here of lately, ..... in Coral seas, Arctic/Anarctic ice/waters, around surface and deep ocean hydrothermal vents, deep ocean waters and on/in the ocean floors ....... that it will be years before they get them all classified. Laughing Laughing

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down