WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S.D. county approves rezoning for new oil refinery

4 posters

Go down

S.D. county approves rezoning for new oil refinery Empty S.D. county approves rezoning for new oil refinery

Post by Stephanie Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:41 pm

http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/19521894.html?location_refer=Homepage

The proposal to build the first new U.S. oil refinery in more than 30 years has been a contentious issue in the southeast corner of South Dakota. The project, about 60 miles south of Sioux Falls, would create 1,800 permanent jobs, and construction could begin in 2010.

By DIRK LAMMERS , Associated Press

Last update: June 4, 2008 - 7:46 AM

ELK POINT, S.D. - Voters in this mostly agricultural corner of the Midwest have approved a proposal to build the first new U.S. oil refinery in more than 30 years.

Union County residents voted 58 percent to 42 percent Tuesday to endorse the rezoning of almost 3,300 acres of pristine farm land north of Elk Point for the oil refinery.

Texas-based Hyperion Resources requested the rezoning for the $10 billion refinery, billed as a potential step toward national energy independence. The proposal has been a contentious issue in the southeast corner of South Dakota, with supporters citing economic development benefits and opponents voicing environmental and quality-of-life concerns.

The ballot measure garnered solid support in the southern part of Union County. Most rural precincts strongly rejected the rezoning, but they didn't have the population to overcome support in the county's largest towns.

Preston Phillips, a Hyperion Resources project executive, said he was ecstatic with the outcome.

"We'll continue to work with everyone in the county," he said. "We want to be a good corporate citizen. We want to be a good corporate neighbor."

Despite the approval of the rezoning, Phillips said Elk Point is not the only site being considered and that the site selection process would continue. "Any big project like this has to have options," he said.

Hyperion's next big hurdle is a lengthy air quality permit application being reviewed by the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

"It's going to be a long road before anything's done on it," project opponent Jason Quam said of the refinery.

Besides the permits, he said he doubted Hyperion could secure the financing for the refinery.

Quam, of the group Citizens Against Oil Pollution, said his organization was evaluating its next move.

Elk Point Mayor Isabel Trobaugh said the refinery would bring needed jobs to the county and that she didn't think it would harm the environment.

She said she talked to the mayors of Ponca City, Okla., and El Dorado, Kan. — which both have oil refineries — and they assured her their communities had clean air and water.

Hyperion has said the project, about 60 miles south of Sioux Falls, would create 1,800 permanent jobs and another 4,500 construction jobs over a four-year period. Construction could begin in 2010.

The Hyperion Energy Center would process 400,000 barrels of thick Canadian crude oil a day, which company executives say would help the U.S. reduce its dependence on overseas oil. The company has said it will bring in the crude oil by pipeline but has announced no specific plans for that transportation link.

Hyperion billed the facility as a "green refinery" and said it would produce ultra-low sulfur gasoline and diesel and rank among the cleanest and most environmentally friendly oil refineries in the world.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

S.D. county approves rezoning for new oil refinery Empty Re: S.D. county approves rezoning for new oil refinery

Post by SamCogar Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:58 am

Hyperion's next big hurdle is a lengthy air quality permit application being reviewed by the South Dakota Department of Environment and Natural Resources

And you can bet your booties it will be.

On Glen Beck the other evening they were talking about the proposed Nuclear Waste Repository in Colorado ..... and the fact that the Federal Government Agency ITSELF, just completed writing the "permit application" for said Repository .... after 20 years of working on it.

I forget the exact figures they gave for said "release" but it was something like ... the permit itself was 3,000 pages, .... with 30,000 pages of attachment documents and ...... 30,000,000 referenced documents.

Now that permit must be reviewed by another Federal Government Agency.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

S.D. county approves rezoning for new oil refinery Empty Re: S.D. county approves rezoning for new oil refinery

Post by ziggy Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:35 am

Nuclear Waste Repository?

That's no big deal. Just put it in a coffee sack and bury it real deep- about 10 feet or so, up there behind SamCogar's house. It'll help him feel all warm and fuzzy- in more ways than one.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:33 pm

Let me see if I get this straight Frank.

You can comment on a Nuclear Power Repository in Colorado but you have no feelings one way or another about a Coal fired power plant within 25 miles of your home.

Really?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:48 pm

If I want to I can, yes.

And I didn't comment about a Nuclear Power Repository in Colorado- but in Braxton County, WV. bounce bounce
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:20 pm

ziggy wrote:If I want to I can, yes.

And I didn't comment about a Nuclear Power Repository in Colorado- but in Braxton County, WV. bounce bounce

Last time I checked there was no Nuclear Power Repository in Braxton County Frank. You might want to check your facts.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:45 am

Hell hath no fury

like .... like ..... like Ziggy scorned.

S.D. county approves rezoning for new oil refinery 33948

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:08 am

ziggy wrote:If I want to I can, yes.

Oh Lordy, .... forgive Zigster for him not know much bout what him criticize.

Him just criticizes poster(s) cause him's ego badly bruised and battered ...... and the chain him's pride is dangling on has been jerked too severly too often.

Aaron makes one of his typical "dyslexic word" mistakes ...... and Ziggy follows suite to explain him's criticism. Iffen him's had "seen" mistake then him's shouldn't have mimicked it. One's imicking of another's mistake .... makes one's making a mistake of their own and their explanation null and void.

Anyway, the average greenie environmentalist really doesn't have the time to be "looking" at things, .... they are far, far too busy doing that which they do best.

Complaining, criticizing and instilling doubts and fears in the minds of the guilible.

Unlike the greenie weenies, ...... intelligent and sensible people see no problem with returning said "nuclear waste" ....... back to the source from whence it came, .... to wit:

In the United States, the first radium/uranium ore was discovered in 1871 in gold mines near Central City, Colorado. This district produced about 50 tons of high grade ore between 1871 and 1895. However, most American uranium ore before World War II came from vanadium deposits on the Colorado Plateau of Utah and Colorado.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_mining

If Ziggy would "clean up his act" ...... he wouldn't be getting his "chain" jerked so often.
lol! lol!

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down