WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storm brewing between state officials and Muslim school

5 posters

Go down

Storm brewing between state officials and Muslim school Empty Storm brewing between state officials and Muslim school

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Storm brewing between state officials and Muslim school
Minneapolis (Red) Star Tribune ^ | 9-10-08 | katherine kersten

Last week, Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy (TiZA) and the Minnesota Department of Education appeared to reach an understanding in the controversy over whether Islam is being promoted at this public school.

But behind the scenes, a storm may be brewing.

TiZA officials have "taken a confrontational road" in discussions with the department, according to Deputy MDE Commissioner Chas Anderson, the department's No. 2 official.

Anderson says that the two sides have not yet reached an agreement on one key issue and that MDE will be closely monitoring TiZA's performance in future months.

(Excerpt) Read more at startribune.com ...

I just hope that no one blows up over this...
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Storm brewing between state officials and Muslim school Empty Re: Storm brewing between state officials and Muslim school

Post by Keli Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:00 pm

The above source goes on to say:

TiZA is a K-8 charter school in Inver Grove Heights, financed by taxpayers. Its students have scored well on standardized tests. But like all public schools, it may not encourage or endorse religion, or favor one religion over another.

A number of facts raise questions about TiZA on this score. Its executive director, Asad Zaman, is an imam, or Muslim religious leader. The school shares a building with a mosque and the Minnesota chapter of the Muslim American Society, which the Chicago Tribune has described as the American branch of the Muslim Brotherhood -- "the world's most influential Islamic fundamentalist group."

Last edited by Keli on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Storm brewing between state officials and Muslim school Empty Re: Storm brewing between state officials and Muslim school

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:07 pm

The afternoon edition of the Zarr Chasm Chronical[sic] , September 10, 2008 reports:

Pastor Terry Hagedorn and the people of Calvary Baptist Church, Reedsville, would like to start a public school in their church's Multi-Purpose building. They would like to call it the Barack Hussein Obama Christian Academy. "We will abide by the separation of church and state," promised Pastor Terry Hagedorn, "...honest".
Pastor Hagedorn would be the Educational Director and Community Organizer of the school.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:59 am

Muslim parents, Willmar schools reach agreement on prayer time

MPR ^ | 9-16-08 | Ambar Espinoza,

St. Paul, Minn. — A few Somali parents in Willmar complained that the public schools weren't allowing their Muslim children to step out of class for daily prayer. Some didn't send their children to school last week in protest. Today, school officials said they won't change their policy, which allows students to pray during lunch time and between classes. For now, families have reluctantly agreed to send their children to school, but the issue may resurface later in the school year.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:19 am

Where are the bleeding heart liberals who ask, "Do you know how this praying business makes a Jehovah's Witness or an Atheist child feel---really feel?"
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:21 am

Keli wrote:Where are the bleeding heart liberals who ask, "Do you know how this praying business makes a Jehovah's Witness or an Atheist child feel---really feel?"

Good point, Keli! Remember how those same liberals told Christians, "If you want to pray--start your own schools!"
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:52 am

Talking to yourself, Keli?

The kids were leaving class to pray.

Public schools have always made time for kids to leave and practice their religious beliefs and attend instruction.

Us catholics got to leave for three hours a week to go to religion class.

The problems are when the prayers become part of the class.

Stop trying to sensationalize non-issues. I can't always be here to highlight your B.S.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:53 am

The problem with TH's initial post is that it relies heavily on a DOE official. Educrats are never given the benefit of the doubt by me.

Also, I have a headache and about a million things I need to get to so I don't have time to get the source, but I do believe there are other charter schools in the country serving specific religious populations. I seem to recall reading about a Jewish charter school in Florida for example.

One of the things most upsetting about this is that apparently the school Terry is referring to is apparently successful. Test scores are good, children are achieving. Isn't that the real goal of education? Or are we interested strictly in indoctrinating kids to what is currently PC?

Finally, I am actually surprised that the Terry Hagedorn's of the world aren't pleased the Muslim children in that little area of MN have a school just for them. Keeps them from infecting all the nice little Christians of the district with their heathen ways.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:34 am

Stephanie wrote:The problem with TH's initial post is that it relies heavily on a DOE official. Educrats are never given the benefit of the doubt by me.

Also, I have a headache and about a million things I need to get to so I don't have time to get the source, but I do believe there are other charter schools in the country serving specific religious populations. I seem to recall reading about a Jewish charter school in Florida for example.

One of the things most upsetting about this is that apparently the school Terry is referring to is apparently successful. Test scores are good, children are achieving. Isn't that the real goal of education? Or are we interested strictly in indoctrinating kids to what is currently PC?

Finally, I am actually surprised that the Terry Hagedorn's of the world aren't pleased the Muslim children in that little area of MN have a school just for them. Keeps them from infecting all the nice little Christians of the district with their heathen ways.

Would it be agreeable with you, if we had an exclusively Christian charter public school in our area?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:39 am

Isn't the religious charter school essentially a school-voucher school? If so, why don't Christians have the right to a voucher to send their children to a Christian school?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Would it be agreeable with you, if we had an exclusively Christian charter public school in our area?

I don't know, Terry. To be honest with you I'd really have to think long and hard about that one. It seems to me the Christians of this area are already being catered to for the most part. The pre-game prayer down in Gilbert and the pre-game prayers over in Poca are good examples of this.

In general, I favor charter schools. I favor anything that deviates from the models currently in use because they are failing miserably.

The point is, here in WV I really don't see a need for "Christian" charter schools. Perhaps in certain areas pockets of different religions exist and a Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist school could fly for all I know.

Instead I'd prefer to see charter schools focused on talents, abilities, and interests for the upper grades such as a high school of fine arts and a high school of science and mathmatics. At the lower level perhaps teaching styles could be the focus. Montessori and Well Trained Mind and Charlotte Mason philosphies at different schools.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Stephanie wrote:

I don't know, Terry. To be honest with you I'd really have to think long and hard about that one. It seems to me the Christians of this area are already being catered to for the most part. The pre-game prayer down in Gilbert and the pre-game prayers over in Poca are good examples of this.

In general, I favor charter schools. I favor anything that deviates from the models currently in use because they are failing miserably.

The point is, here in WV I really don't see a need for "Christian" charter schools. Perhaps in certain areas pockets of different religions exist and a Muslim or Jewish or Buddhist school could fly for all I know.

Instead I'd prefer to see charter schools focused on talents, abilities, and interests for the upper grades such as a high school of fine arts and a high school of science and mathmatics. At the lower level perhaps teaching styles could be the focus. Montessori and Well Trained Mind and Charlotte Mason philosphies at different schools.

What need are you looking for, Stephanie? Either there is to be a separation of church and state--or, there is not! Which is it?

My daughter went to and granddaughter goes to a Chrisitan School, Morgantown Christian Academy. My wife and I paid tuition above and beyond our fair share of taxes for our daughter's and granddaughter's education.

Would you have been less offended if a Muslim had prayed in Allah's name at the football game?

This might come as a shock to you; but, I do not believe that the public schools should be Christian schools. By the same token, I do not believe that there should be a Muslim, Jewish or Roman Catholic charter public school either--as there are in Minnesota (Muslim)Florida (Jewish) and Washington D.C. (Roman Catholic). Furthermore, I believe that it is just as egregious for children to be corralled and forced into a prayer time (as they have in TiZA) as some think it is for a public prayer in Jesus' name. Don't you?

I believe that the fairest way would be a voucher for every citizen to send their child to a school of their choice.
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:16 pm

I believe that the fairest way would be a voucher for every citizen to send their child to a school of their choice.

I have been working on this one in my mind for several years, Keli. I do not dismiss it out of hand. But this is the first I have commented on it "publicly". How might we determine a fair value of such vouchers in determination of what amounts they ought be issued?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:27 pm

ziggy wrote:

I have been working on this one in my mind for several years, Keli. I do not dismiss it out of hand. But this is the first I have commented on it "publicly". How might we determine a fair value of such vouchers in determination of what amounts they ought be issued?

I would be satisfied with what the State/County Board of Education allocates each school. I believe that it would be about $1600/year per student. Christian schools in our area have an average tuition of about $215/month for 10 months--or, obviously $2150/year. (Trinity High School in Morgantown tuition is, I believe, in excess of $600/month.)
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:00 pm

I believe that it is just as egregious for children to be corralled and forced into a prayer time (as they have in TiZA)

Citation please?

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down