WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants

3 posters

Go down

Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants Empty Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants

Post by Keli Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:54 pm

Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants
reuters ^ | 9/24/8

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Nobel Peace Prize winner and environmental crusader Al Gore urged young people on Wednesday to engage in civil disobedience to stop the construction of coal plants without the ability to store carbon.

The former U.S. vice president, whose climate change documentary "An Inconvenient Truth" won an Academy Award, told a philanthropic meeting in New York City that "the world has lost ground to the climate crisis."

"If you're a young person looking at the future of this planet and looking at what is being done right now, and not done, I believe we have reached the stage where it is time for civil disobedience to prevent the construction of new coal plants that do not have carbon capture and sequestration," Gore told the Clinton Global Initiative gathering to loud applause.
(Excerpt) Read more at reuters.com ...

Why doesn't Gore stop using 20 times the average energy? And, maybe there would be less need for coal generated electricity!
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants Empty Re: Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants

Post by ziggy Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Somehow I can't see Al Gore chaining himself to the power house gates nor lying down in front of a bulldozer clearing a power plant site.

I just can't see that windbag as credible.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants Empty Re: Gore urges civil disobedience to stop coal plants

Post by Keli Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:36 pm

ziggy wrote:Somehow I can't see Al Gore chaining himself to the power house gates nor lying down in front of a bulldozer clearing a power plant site.

I just can't see that windbag as credible.

I never thought that I would say this, Ziggy; b--bbb-but, I a-aa-a-aaagree with you. Why do you think that ecologists don't denounce that charlatan?
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:20 pm

I never thought that I would say this, Ziggy; b--bbb-but, I a-aa-a-aaagree with you. Why do you think that ecologists don't denounce that charlatan?

Well, I have denounced him here several times. But I cannot speak for others.

Seemingly smart people are no more willing to call Gore on his pompus, incredible grandstanding about certain environmental matters than other smart people are to call G.W. Bush on his pompus, incredible grandstanding about going to war in Iraq.

I guess I either learned or inherited my father's willingness to call people incredible, and even outright liars when I think they are, well, either incredible or outright liars.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:38 am

"Seemingly smart people are no more willing to call Gore on his pompus, incredible grandstanding about certain environmental matters..."

Well zig I agree he comes across as pompous and grandstanding personally.

But I have thought he was mostly right on issues.

Can you give examples of these "environmental matters"?

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:11 pm

sodbuster wrote:"Seemingly smart people are no more willing to call Gore on his pompus, incredible grandstanding about certain environmental matters..."

Well zig I agree he comes across as pompous and grandstanding personally.

But I have thought he was mostly right on issues.

Can you give examples of these "environmental matters"?

Sodbuster, on global warming, for example, Gore has not convinced me that it is the dire, imminent threat to earth that he says it is.

When Gore preaches about global warming he reminds me of a lot of people who preach about religion- if they really believed it the way they say they do, then they wouldn't live the way they do; they would take better care of how they live and worry less about how the rest of us live.

As I recall, I posted some of my thoughts about cyclical global warming and cyclical global cooling in reply to a post or question by a former poster named Shermangeneral here a few weeks ago. But if you'd like me to find that and re-post it here, I can. Well, maybe not. But if the lousy 'search' feature here actually worked I could.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:24 am

OK.

But least he helps keep interest up on environmental issues.

I would rate him a little higher than you do but not in the top ten.

Course I believe in global warming too, so that could make a difference.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down