WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hyphenated Armericans are not Americans at all!!!!!

+2
Keli
Cato
6 posters

Go down

Hyphenated Armericans are not Americans at all!!!!! Empty Hyphenated Armericans are not Americans at all!!!!!

Post by Cato Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:24 pm

"There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all. ... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic. ... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else."

Theodore Roosevelt

Someone has to say it so it might as well be me. If you refer to yourself as an African-American, or Native- American, Hispanic-American, Asian-American, muslim-American, or any of the other hyphenated Americans, here is a newsflash.

You ain't an American at all. You need to decide what you are going to be. If an American then be one. If not, leave.
Cato

Cato

Number of posts : 2010
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Hyphenated Armericans are not Americans at all!!!!! Empty Re: Hyphenated Armericans are not Americans at all!!!!!

Post by Keli Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:26 pm

I agree. Bigoted-Americans are not real Americans.
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Hyphenated Armericans are not Americans at all!!!!! Empty Re: Hyphenated Armericans are not Americans at all!!!!!

Post by ziggy Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:40 am

Cato wrote:You ain't an American at all. You need to decide what you are going to be. If an American then be one. If not, leave.
Cato

I'll call myself anything I want to.

And I ain't leaving.

Unless you're an Indian-American, this is just as much my home as it is yours.

Signed,

Ziggy, your Irish-German-and-who-knows-what-else-maybe-even-partly-black-ancestered-American mongrel friend.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:32 am

ziggy wrote:

And I ain't leaving.

Signed,

Ziggy, your Irish-German-and-who-knows-what-else-maybe-even-partly-black-ancestered-American mongrel friend.

Well Zig, I don't believe you have ever really "wanted any part of" ...... anything that you have ever been or wanted to be part of. pirat pirat

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:52 am

The political pandering by the Presidential Candidates to garner votes from the different ancestral and religious groups is doing more to promote and/or exacerbate "racism and hate" in the US, ..... than all the other acts put together.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:48 am

SamCogar wrote:The political pandering by the Presidential Candidates to garner votes from the different ancestral and religious groups is doing more to promote and/or exacerbate "racism and hate" in the US, ..... than all the other acts put together.

You're right, Sam. BUT.................

The candidate who has steadfastly refused to participate in that disgusting pandering is under siege with bogus charges of racism.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:50 am

Stephanie wrote:
SamCogar wrote:The political pandering by the Presidential Candidates to garner votes from the different ancestral and religious groups is doing more to promote and/or exacerbate "racism and hate" in the US, ..... than all the other acts put together.

You're right, Sam. BUT.................

The candidate who has steadfastly refused to participate in that disgusting pandering is under siege with bogus charges of racism.

Personally, I don't think Thompson's a racist. Neutral
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:56 am

ziggy wrote:
Cato wrote:You ain't an American at all. You need to decide what you are going to be. If an American then be one. If not, leave.
Cato

And I ain't leaving.

Signed,

Ziggy,

I would never deny you, or anyone, the right to free speech and expression. You're entitled to call yourself whatever you like and I would never ask you to leave. I don't believe in contests of Patriotism. I love my country but by the standards of some others I may fail such a test.

Still, I can't help but agreeing with T. Roosevelt on many levels. Rather than focusing on our differences and allowing those differences to divide us, wouldn't we all be wise to unite and work together to achieve justice, domestic tranquility, national security, and the restoration of our civil liberties? I just think as long as we are so interested in catagorizing ourselves and each other, we're never going to be truly "united".
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:39 am

Now that's for damn sure.

(did I just agree with samcogar?)

January 18, 2008- a day that will live in infamy on the "Former Gazz Forum members carry on without the Gazz" forums- because samcogar and ziggy agree on something of social importance. Embarassed
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:20 pm

ziggy wrote:

Now that's for damn sure.

(did I just agree with samcogar?)

January 18, 2008- a day that will live in infamy on the "Former Gazz Forum members carry on without the Gazz" forums- because samcogar and ziggy agree on something of social importance. Embarassed

Well here is the ultimate for Feburary 18, 2008. I agree with both of you. Scary ain't it.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:25 pm

Stephanie wrote:
ziggy wrote:
Cato

And I ain't leaving.

Signed,

Ziggy,

I would never deny you, or anyone, the right to free speech and expression. You're entitled to call yourself whatever you like and I would never ask you to leave. I don't believe in contests of Patriotism. I love my country but by the standards of some others I may fail such a test.

Still, I can't help but agreeing with T. Roosevelt on many levels. Rather than focusing on our differences and allowing those differences to divide us, wouldn't we all be wise to unite and work together to achieve justice, domestic tranquility, national security, and the restoration of our civil liberties? I just think as long as we are so interested in catagorizing ourselves and each other, we're never going to be truly "united".

The point is, not so much what you call yourself. The point is that many want to come here and yet want to retain the nationality they came from. That doesn't work. You are either an American or you are not. You cannot be an American and African or whatever at the sametime. You are one or the other.

We have a large hispanic population where I live. Many, but not all, don't seem to want to assimilate. They don't want to learn the language. They don't want to obey many of the laws. They don't want to associate outsdie of their own. Fact is, it just doesn't work.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down