WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Congress, new Admin. already laying plans for recovery

+3
ohio county
SamCogar
sodbuster
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Congress, new Admin. already laying plans for recovery - Page 2 Empty Re: Congress, new Admin. already laying plans for recovery

Post by Aaron Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:56 am

You can stand by it. You just can't find many other democrats that would agree with you.

Have a safe one where ever you're going and have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Congress, new Admin. already laying plans for recovery - Page 2 Empty Re: Congress, new Admin. already laying plans for recovery

Post by SamCogar Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:53 pm

sodbuster wrote:Well I don't think it is likely that much progressive legislation will come out of the WV legislature because it is pretty much a one party state and not competitive politically.

AND THAT IS JUST THE WAY YOU LIKE IT, right Shermmy, ......

and that is why you are not going to work with me to change it.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:40 am

I thought all the fiscally responsible democrats were pushing a $700 billion spending plan to make sure Main Street got equal booty to Wall Street.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:43 am

Congress and the new administration already laying plans for the recovery, eh?

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell112508.php3

With any luck we ought to be fully recovered somewhere into Obama's third term...
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:27 am

With the passing years, it has increasingly been recognized that what FDR did was largely a further extension of what Hoover had done. Where Hoover made things worse, FDR made them much worse.

Yet when questioned, many will say FDR was a good President.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:07 am

FDR is much beloved. You'll hear "at least he reversed that Hoover bunch" whereas in point of fact he just did more of what Hoover already started. I liked the line where Sowell asks and answers his own question: "...this was the first time that the federal government took responsibility for trying to get the country out of a depression [but] do not ask what seems like the logical follow-up question: Did this depression therefore end faster than other depressions where the government stood by and did nothing?

The Great Depression of the 1930s was in fact the longest-lasting of all our depressions."
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:39 am

Aaron wrote:
With the passing years, it has increasingly been recognized that what FDR did was largely a further extension of what Hoover had done. Where Hoover made things worse, FDR made them much worse.

Yet when questioned, many will say FDR was a good President.

FYI, Aaron....including one of the Social Studies teachers at your sons' high school. I don't know his name, but his wife told me that FDR is his favorite prez and that he says, "FDR saved the country." I'm really bad with names, but his wife is a librarian for Putnam County libraries. He'd be an older man.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:44 am

I'm pretty sure I know who you're talking about. He's the leader of the young democrats of which Donnie was President last year. When he would go to school and tell him and the very liberal baseball coach things I would say about FDR, they wouldn't believe him.

The baseball coach told him I must be pulling his leg because no one could think FDR wasn't a great President. I told him in front the baseball team what I thought and tried to get him to 'discuss' it with me and he wouldn't.

What I've found is these guys are good at brainwashing young kids but when put on the spot to back up what they say, they are lost.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:07 pm

His wife is a lovely woman.

I have tried to teach my children to question everything....don't take everything printed in books or broadcast over the airwaves as gospel. They know that all men (and women too) are fallible and nobody is perfect. When it comes to historical figures, they are frequently viewed through rose colored glass......epecially if they were assassinated or died in office. Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy all had their faults and made some pretty darn bad choices, imho. They are overlooked.

Also, the way history is presented, what facts are disclosed to school children varies over time and location. For example, the Reconstruction era was glossed over by my northern school district in the 1970's. I learned much about that on my own after finally getting around to watching Gone With the Wind in my early 20's. That film made me curious, so I learned about the period. My public school education was less than informative.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2