WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat

+3
Aaron
bmd
Keli
7 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 Empty Re: Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat

Post by TerryRC Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:10 am

Boob? Why do you always resort to name calling when someone gets the better of you? You're worse then you claim Sam is Terry.

Because you are being purposely obtuse.

As for your arguments, you didn't say common law, you said old English law and I showed you that it in fact does have it's origins in Christianity.

No, I did not. You said "old english law", I said "common law", which is the root of US law. Go back and look. I also provided a reference that blew your argument apart.

Yes, I know the states could have religious laws, even as the fed could not. I also know they were found unconstitutional.

So, what is your response to this, or will you just keep avoiding it:

Your reference means jack shit. I know the majority of americans profess some flavor of christianity. That doesn't make america a "christian nation", though. We are also a nation of muslims, jews, rasta boys, mormons agnostics and atheists, just to name a few other non-christian groups.

It is our nation, also.

You have not made one single argument that gives credence to the statement that we are a "christian nation".

Keep trying, though.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 Empty Re: Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:39 am

You were correct; you said Old English common law. I was mistaken.

Which doesn't matter as English common law holds the same origins as does Old English law and that is Christianity.

The link I posted covers my thoughts pretty well.

The way I see it, you've got to refute what Harry S. Truman, Sam Adams, James Madison, John Jay and everyone else in the article I linked said, which as far as I'm concerned proves my point.

You've got your work cut out for you Terry. You better get to hopping.

Oh, and I've never supported religious laws. I believe in the constitution.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:14 am

Which doesn't matter as English common law holds the same origins as does Old English law and that is Christianity.

No, it doesn't. It has its roots in places like the Roman Senate, the Iroquois Confederacy and the Code of Hammurabi.

The way I see it, you've got to refute what Harry S. Truman, Sam Adams, James Madison, John Jay and everyone else in the article I linked said, which as far as I'm concerned proves my point.

I don't have to refute anything. The Bill of Rights has already done that.

Since we are talking about "proof", however, how about the Treaty of Tripoli, a legally binding document that says:

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Game, set, match?

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:49 am

TerryRC wrote:
Which doesn't matter as English common law holds the same origins as does Old English law and that is Christianity. [/i]

No, it doesn't. It has its roots in places like the Roman Senate, the Iroquois Confederacy and the Code of Hammurabi.

I don't have to refute anything. The Bill of Rights has already done that.

Since we are talking about "proof", however, how about the Treaty of Tripoli, a legally binding document that says:

Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Game, set, match?

Yes. Turn your king over.

The historical record from the foregoing quotes from past Presidents, leaders, Congressmen, Jurists and court decisions, seems firmly on the side of those claiming that America was born and maintained as a Christian nation whose laws, morals, and customs derive from Christian (and Jewish) scriptures. The opponents of this view, however, point to the first sentence of Article 11 of the obscure Tripoli Treaty of 1797 as seeming conclusive proof that America was never a Christian nation. Before discussing that critical sentence, the treaty itself should be read in context with all of the Barbary treaties.

The Barbary States on the coast of North Africa, comprising the Moslem States of Morocco, Algiers, Tunis, and Tripoli, attacked ships in their coastal waters which would not pay tribute, and held captives for ransom. The European nations had treaties with those states, under which, in exchange for tribute, shipping was protected. After the Revolutionary War, our new nation followed the lead of those European nations and entered into similar treaties. Breach of those treaties by the Barbary nations led to the Barbary wars in 1801.

The first treaty was with Morocco in 1786, negotiated by Jefferson, Adams, and Franklin. It was written in Arabic with an English translation. The treaty language assumes that the world was divided between Christians and Moors (Moslems), e.g. "If we shall be at war with any Christian Power ... .", "... no Vessel whatever belonging either to Moorish or Christian Powers with whom the United States may be at War ... .", "...be their enemies Moors or Christians." These along with numerous references to God, e.g., "In the name of Almighty God,", "... trusting in God ...", "Grace to the only God", "...the servant of God ...", "... whom God preserve ...". are the only references to religion in this treaty of Peace and Friendship.

The next was the Treaty of Peace and Amity with Algiers in 1795,written in Turkish. The only reference to religion was in Article 17 which gave the Consul of the United States "... Liberty to Exercise his Religion in his own House [and] all Slaves of the Same Religion shall not be impeded in going to Said Consul's house at hours of prayer... ." The Consul's house was to function in lieu of a Christian church.

The Treaty of Amity, Commerce, and Navigation with Tunis in 1797 was in Turkish with a French translation. It begins "God is infinite.", and refers to the Ottoman Emperor "whose realm may God prosper", and to the President of the United States "... the most distinguished among those who profess the religion of the Messiah, ...." Other than a reference to "the Christian year", there is no further mention of religion.

The Treaty of Peace and Friendship with Tripoli was signed in 1796 in Arabic, and was later translated into English by Joel Barlow, United States Consul General at Algiers. Except for the typical phrases "Praise be to God" and "whom God Exalt", there is no reference to religion other than the aforesaid remarkable Article 11, which reads,

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion, as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen, — and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan (sic) nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

The treaty, with this language, was submitted to the Senate by President Adams, and was ratified. Thus, opponents of the 'Christian nation' concept point to this seemingly official repudiation of the very idea. Yet the language is less a repudiation of the role of Christianity in the nation's heritage than a reminder that there was no national established church in the United States as there was in the European states with which Tripoli had previously dealt. This provided reassurance to the Moslem Bey and his religious establishment that religion, in of itself, would not be a basis of hostility between the two nations. None of the other similar treaties with the Barbary states, before or after this treaty, including the replacement treaties signed in 1804 after the Barbary Wars, have any language remotely similar.

And there is a deeper mystery: As noted in a footnote at page 1070 of the authoritative treatise by Bevans, Treaties and other International Agreements of the United States of America, citing treaty scholar Hunter Miller.

"While the Barlow translation quoted above has been printed in all official and unofficial treaty collections since 1797, most extraordinary (and wholly unexplained) is the fact that Article 11 of the Barlow translation, with its famous phrase 'the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion.' does not exist at all. There is no Article 11. The Arabic text which is between Articles 10 and 12 is in form a letter, crude and flamboyant and withal quite unimportant, from the Dey of Algiers to the Pasha of Tripoli. How that script came to be written and to be regarded, as in the Barlow translation, as Article 11 of the treaty as there written, is a mystery and seemingly must remain so. Nothing in the diplomatic correspondence of the time throws any light whatever on the point" (Emphasis added)

In sum, the phrase was no doubt an invention of Mr. Barlow, who inserted it on his own for his own, unknown, purposes. It was duly ratified without question by the United States Senate, which would no doubt be hesitant to object to any phraseology which was represented as desired by the Bey of Tripoli, with whom the United States wanted peaceful relations. It remains a mystery.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:30 am

" ...than a reminder that there was no national established church in the United States... "

Then how can we be a christian nation? Your OWN SOURCE backs me up.

Give it up, Aaron.

Like I said, we are also a nation of jews, mormons, muslims, pastafarians, rastafarians, agnostics, atheists, pagans...

Can't be a "christian nation" and be those things, also.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:42 am

Yes. Turn your king over.

Cultured, I see. Not enough to tell the difference between tennis and chess, but cultured, nevertheless.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:08 am

You need to go back to my first post Terry. On the few serves you managed to get in, I put them right back in your face.

About all you managed was love.

6-0, 6-0, 6-0 game to Aaron.

Checkmate.

Nice try though.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:47 am

You need to go back to my first post Terry. On the few serves you managed to get in, I put them right back in your face.

Is it nice, the little universe you live in?

You haven't returned one single serve.

You have not made a single compelling argument to show that we are a "christian nation" other than the fact that the majority of the religious in this country profess to some flavor of christianity.

Tell us, in your own words, what argument YOU have made to show we are "christian nation".

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:50 am

Also, the fact remains that there is prejudice against muslims in this country.

If this was a jew wanting kosher food, people would fall all over themselves to accommodate.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:32 am

You have the same debate tatic as Ziggy. Ignore anything and everything said and keep asking the same questions over and over as if you're the only one who knows what you're talking about.

In the words of the immortal comic legand Damon Wayans...

Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 In_Living_Color_Homey_The_Clown_Dont_Play_Dat-T-link

For the recored though, I do agree with you that if this were a jew, it would have never been a story. Our predominantly christian nation has some warped sense of notion that they have to bless Israel and that's why.

Last edited by Aaron on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 am

You have the same debate tatic as Ziggy. Ignore anything and everything said and keep asking the same questions over and over as if you're the only one who knows what you're talking about.

Aaron, you pasted links to a couple of sites that had someone's OPINION.

Can't you make an argument for yourself?

What is YOUR evidence that we are a "christian nation".

Show me what I have "ignored". Bear in mind you have ignored everyone of my arguments and I have offered a counter to all of yours.

Go back and read the thread.

Anyone else agree with Aaron's assessment of this debate?

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:39 am

Like it or not, this is a Christian nation founded on Christian laws and principals. Even today, ~220 years of assault on religion, 75% of Americans still profess Christian beliefs.

Start with providing some real evidence for the above.

If we are founded on christian principles, how come breaking the majority of the ten commandments is not against the law?

If our laws are founded on christian principles, how come dishonoring your father isn't a jailable offense?

Your argument is hollow.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:40 am

Like it or not, this is a Christian nation founded on Christian laws and principals. Even today, ~220 years of assault on religion, 75% of Americans still profess Christian beliefs.

That is why we are a christian nation? Because the majority professes to christianity?

The majority is white, also. Are we a "white" nation.

You have ignored this query so far.

I have no doubt you will continue to do so.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 am

Wednesday January 21st, 9:42 am
TerryRC wrote:If you say so Terry.

Nice comeback.

Again... is it your contention that, because most americans are christian, we are a "christian nation"?

Ridiculous.

The majority of americans are also white. Are we a "white nation"?

Wednesday January 21st, 10:49am
Aaron wrote:Predominantly, the answer to both questions is yes.

I think part of your problem is that you confuse Christianity with religion and that's your mistake.

The beauty of our founding fathers is they understood how religion can exploit and that is why they choose to separate church and state.

How it got from a separation to an out right ban on religion just shows that it is not only Christians that exploit and go too far.

TerryRC wrote:The majority is white, also. Are we a "white" nation.

You have ignored this query so far.

I have no doubt you will continue to do so.

No, I didn’t ignore it Terry. As you can see from the post above, I addressed it about an hour after you ask it. It was you who chose to focus on the Christian part of the conversation.

And since I’ve refuted everything you’ve said and proven my point, now you want to switch gears and change the subject.

You ignore any material I put out that backs my view as if it’s neither relevant or true. That one article I posted summed up exactly what I have been saying and you ignored it without addressing any of the points made and then tell me I’ve done nothing to prove my point.

No matter what I post, you resort to the same tatic until you can no longer ignore it and then you attempt to change the subject.

I’ve proven my point on this thread which has been ongoing for weeks so at this point, unless you can pull something out that refutes what I’m saying besides your personal opinion, Game, Set, Match.

I’ll have your king now!!!

Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 197570 Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 197570 Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 197570 Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 197570 Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 197570 Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 197570 Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 197570 Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 197570 Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 197570
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:38 pm

And since I’ve refuted everything you’ve said and proven my point, now you want to switch gears and change the subject.

You call this PROOF?:

It is an assertion, not proof, particularly when you can't back it up.

How can we have a secular government and be a christian nation at the same time?

Where is the evidence that our government and laws were based on christian doctrine?

You have not and can't answer those simple questions.

Meanwhile, I have the First Amendment and the Treaty of Tripoli on my side, both legally binding pieces of legislation that clearly state that our government is secular and NOT based in christian beliefs.

How can you proclaim yourself any kind of winner in this debate?

Make an actual point and I will refute it. Don't sling someone's opinion at me and call it a "refutation" or "proof" of anything.

In other words, don't you have an original thought?

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:05 pm

All questions have been ask and answered.

Muslim inmate sues to get halal meat - Page 2 Check%20mate
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:16 pm

All questions have been ask and answered.

Whatever.

If the majority of the people in this country professed to islam and tried to say that we are a "muslim" nation, I doubt you would agree.

So, in summary:

You said our laws and government are rooted in christian beliefs (unproven).

That because the majority is christian, we are a christian nation (a ridiculous assertion).

Remind me... what other ridiculous assertions did you make?

You haven't made a single valid point that supports your argument, yet still you claim victory by parroting - what am I talking about, you were to lazy to even do that - linking to somebody's OPINION.

Good job, Aaron. Don't know why I doubted you...

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:40 pm

I have already made some of these arguments:

One Nation (linky)

Yes, this country has had a christian majority since it's founding. That makes us a largely christian "population", not a "christian nation" as government is necessary to the concept of "nation" and our government is decidedly secular (first amendment, and all).

Refute that. Dare you to try.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SheikBen Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:28 pm

bmd wrote:
Stephanie wrote:In America Jews have lots of power and influential friends. Muslims have none.

Is that why Aaron, TerryH, and SheikBen are afraid to cross them (Jews)? Or, is it just plain old vanilla bigotry against Muslims?

bmd,

You have no clue what I believe about Israel and the Jewish people living in America, do you?

SheikBen

Number of posts : 3445
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by SheikBen Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:36 pm

Here's a rant.

First of all, the Northwest Ordinance cited religion and morality, as well as knowledge, as the basis for providing land grants for public education in the United States.

Second of all, vis a vis the whole religion thing, I have no problem "crossing" the Jewish population or "crossing" the Muslim population or "crossing" Israel.

As for the Jewish population in the United States, bmd should be aware that Orthodox Jews comprise a sliver of the total Jewish population in the United States (and, for that matter, of the total Jewish population in Israel). So if bmd is going to accuse me of being afraid to cross the Jews, he would do well to tell me if he means orthodox, conservative, reform, or reconstructionist Jews. The politics and the religious rigors of these groups are as different as those between gay-marriage affirming Unitarians and fire and brimstone southern baptists.

Now I have no problem crossing the Jews. Hope is only found in Jesus Christ and the Gospel is to be preached, first to the Jew and then to the Gentile (BECAUSE THE JEWS AND THE GENTILES BOTH NEED IT!) I do not see any special "out clause" for the Jews in the Christian Scriptures, especially as St. Paul says that someone is a true Jew who is one inwardly rather than outwardly.

Now I will say that I do not fear Jewish terrorism in the United States. Somehow trying to compare the "Jewish threat" or the "Christian threat" with the terrorist threat coming from a sample of radical Muslims would be asinine.

Not everything that Israel is doing is good. Their being "Israel" does not mean that everything they do is good. Additionally, if God has chosen Israel then He does not need the United States to stand up for it. Our calculus in supporting or not supporting Israel should ultimately come from our own self-interest.

SheikBen

Back to top Go down

Post by SheikBen Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:18 am

TerryRC wrote:I have already made some of these arguments:

One Nation (linky)

Yes, this country has had a christian majority since it's founding. That makes us a largely christian "population", not a "christian nation" as government is necessary to the concept of "nation" and our government is decidedly secular (first amendment, and all).

Refute that. Dare you to try.

Well, Terry, if you mean that our national government is decidedly secular, I have to ask what you mean by that. If you are saying that they did not pray before (and in some cases, during) congressional sessions and what not, I'm not sure that history bears that how. If you mean that there has never been an established religion of the United States (in the same way that there was and is a Church of England), then obviously that is correct, and the intention of the first amendment.

However, the imposed secularization of the public square finds its genesis not in the founding and surely not in the US Constitution. Consider the state of Massachusettes, which had the Congregational Church as its official religion until 1833. The first amendment was ratified in 1791. Had the 1st amendment had the effect that you seem to suggest, the reality of Massachusettes makes no sense.

SheikBen

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:58 pm

Consider the state of Massachusettes, which had the Congregational Church as its official religion until 1833. The first amendment was ratified in 1791. Had the 1st amendment had the effect that you seem to suggest, the reality of Massachusettes makes no sense.

And what would prevent the state of Massaschusetts from again declaring the Congregational Church as its "official religion"- as long as it did not try to enforce such a declaration?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SheikBen Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:56 am

?????????????????????

SheikBen

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:18 pm

SheikBen wrote:?????????????????????

I don't know either.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SheikBen Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:28 pm

On the topic of halal meat, I think if it is easy enough to get it, it ought to be made available. Why not?

On the topic of Massachusettes' state religion, what is the difference between having one and enforcing it? No one was forced to pray in the Baltimore School that Miss Murray's son was enrolled in.

SheikBen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next