WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is

3 posters

Go down

Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is Empty Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is

Post by Stephanie Mon May 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Congress Pushes Cap and Trade, But Just 24% Know What It Is

Monday, May 11, 2009
The gap between Capitol Hill and Main Street is huge when it comes to the so-called "cap-and-trade" legislation being considered in Congress. So wide, in fact, that few voters even know what the proposed legislation is all about.

Given a choice of three options, just 24% of voters can correctly identify the cap-and-trade proposal as something that deals with environmental issues. A slightly higher number (29%) believe the proposal has something to do with regulating Wall Street while 17% think the term applies to health care reform. A plurality (30%) have no idea.

Democrats are pushing the legislation on Capitol Hill, but Democrats around the country are a bit less likely than Republicans and voters not affiliated with either party to know that the concept has something to do with the environment. This helps explain why some Democratic pollsters have advised the president to back away from the term cap-and-trade to describe what he wants to accomplish.

There is always political danger when major legislation is enacted without engaging the public in the debate. The New York Times reports that Rep. Henry Waxman, the California Democrat who is pushing cap-and-trade legislation, is now facing challenges from within his own party on the issue and that many want to “turn the Energy and Commerce Committee's attention over to health care.”

That is clearly the direction most American voters would like to go. Sixty-nine percent (69%) say health care issues are more important while just 15% say global warming is a higher priority.

While the public view is clear, opinion among the Political Class is more evenly divided: 45% say health care is more important while 38% name global warming. Seven percent (7%) of Americans belong to the Political Class, and another seven percent (7%) lean in that direction.

Earlier surveys have shown a steady decline in the number who believe that human activity is the primary cause of global warming.

Broadly speaking, cap-and-trade proposals involve having the government set limits on what pollutants can be emitted. Then it auctions off permits for certain emissions and allows companies to trade the permits as needed.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is Empty Re: Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is

Post by ohio county Thu May 14, 2009 12:50 am

I'll tell you what cap and trade is: cap and trade is what is going to prolong this recession well beyond year's end. The average American family will see a $3,000 a year increase in their electric bill. This is a tax increase, pure and simple (do I sound like Janeane Garofolo?) at the worst possible time for the economy.

Does Obama care? Obama, as if you didn't know, is more calculating politician than he is bleeding heart community organizer. Did a prolonged Depression hurt Roosevelt? Hell, no, the rubes think he ended the Depression! And that is what Obama is about - another fifty year run at ending personal responsibility and self-reliance to ensure the primacy of the democrat party. Good luck with that.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is Empty Re: Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is

Post by ohio county Thu May 14, 2009 12:56 am

I think Joe Biden is among the 75% of Americans who have no idea what cap and trade is:

http://reason.com/blog/show/133466.html

This recession would run it's course and peter out by year's end but Reason Magazine fails to take cap and trade into account. I think Obama's bonehead ideas will sink the recovery. I guess we'll see...
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu May 14, 2009 1:30 am

You know what really peeves me off? I used think that Biden was alright for a Democrat. I really had no inkling how dumb that man is.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Thu May 14, 2009 1:37 am

He's dumber than dirt. He makes Cheney look good. Remember after Cheney debated Joe Lieberman? The whole country thought the dude was soft-spoken and knowledgeable. Hell, Lieberman stopped just short of endorsing him himself.

Me, personally? I like Cheney but think he has too much faith in the mechanisms of government. He's been on the inside too long. I also don't like the idea of pre-emptive wars.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu May 14, 2009 1:59 am

I don't like pre-emptive wars either, or nation building, or empire building or torture. Hey Jimmy, you have to google "Matthew Alexander torture" and see what you come up with.

I don't buy into the notion that we have to torture a hundred people to get a confession out of one terrorist.

That said, there really isn't any significant difference in foreign policy between the Bush administration and the Obama administration. Obama isn't pulling troops out. We still have troops in Iraq and now he's sending tens of thousands of additional troops into Afghanistan and Pakistan.

When you have time check this article out:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124224652409516525.html#mod=rss_whats_news_us

It isn't hard to imagine why these people hate Americans, now is it? Obama & his crew need to learn the exact same lessons the Bush adminstration never learned.......actions have consequences and when you interfer with the internal operations of another sovereign nation it's a sure-fire way to generate anti-American sentiment. Not that they give a shit.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 am

Stephanie wrote: Obama & his crew need to learn the exact same lessons the Bush adminstration never learned.......actions have consequences .............

Now Steph, ...... quit joking and be serious.

I matters little what Obama's actions produce, ....... the Democrats and the lefty liberal Press will tout them all as great successes at attempts to fix all of Bush's f-ups.

After all, Obama inherited every one them, plus dozens more that haven't surfaced yet, ....... from the previous Administration.

It has just been gawd awful and will take years and scads of money before things start to recover and look better. And YADA, .... YADA, .... YADA.

And the day after the next election day when a Republican POTUS Candidate has been declared a WINNER, ....... ole Shermmy will be "back on board" blaming every bit n' piece of Obama's disasterous decisions ........ on said newly elected Republican ......... even before he/she takes office.

Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is 33948 Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is 33948 Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is 33948 Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is 33948 Cap & Trade-Only 1 in 4 Americans Have a Clue What It Is 33948

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu May 14, 2009 10:32 am

Right, Sammy....that's why they don't give a shit. They can always blame it on "that Bush bunch".
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down