WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What should we do about bin Laden?

+5
ziggy
SFCraig
SamCogar
Aaron
shermangeneral
9 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

What should next President do about bin Laden?

What should we do about bin Laden? - Page 7 Vote_lcap0%What should we do about bin Laden? - Page 7 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
What should we do about bin Laden? - Page 7 Vote_lcap100%What should we do about bin Laden? - Page 7 Vote_rcap 100% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 3

What should we do about bin Laden? - Page 7 Empty Re: What should we do about bin Laden?

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:05 am

And for record, I AM NOT POMPOUS.

Pompous enough to look down your nose at state employees. I won't say "workers" as it is common knowledge that none of us work.

I have do do some work around Poca in the next weer or two. I'll bring my GPS unit and my state cell. I'll bet you 10$ that I can find a place within 10 miles of there where I get no signal on either one of them.

If you want me to have better equipment, be prepared to pony up with those tax dollars.

So Aaron, how does one find one's location in three dimensions with only one point of reference?

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

What should we do about bin Laden? - Page 7 Empty Re: What should we do about bin Laden?

Post by SamCogar Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:56 am

TerryRC wrote:And for record, I AM NOT POMPOUS.

Pompous enough to look down your nose at state employees. I won't say "workers" as it is common knowledge that none of us work.

I have do do some work around Poca in the next weer or two. I'll bring my GPS unit and my state cell. I'll bet you 10$ that I can find a place within 10 miles of there where I get no signal on either one of them.

If you want me to have better equipment, be prepared to pony up with those tax dollars.

So Aaron, how does one find one's location in three dimensions with only one point of reference?

HUUUUUMMMMM, it now appears you have been educated enough by mine and Aarons posts to finally realize your f'ing equipment is obselete.

For someone who claims to be educated you sure as hell are a slow learner. Razz Razz

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:59 am

HUUUUUMMMMM, it now appears you have been educated enough by mine and Aarons posts to finally realize your f'ing equipment is obselete.

For someone who claims to be educated you sure as hell are a slow learner.

Coming from someone that didn't even know the GPS unit only receives triangulation signals and does not send them, I don't think you had better say another word about education.

So have you ever even used a GPS unit? I can't believe you would expostulate on a subject that you were less than expert in...

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:01 am

PS, Sam, your spelling is as bad as Aaron's ("obselete", indeed). Care to talk more about your ability to "educate"?

Firefox has a free spell-checker. Perhaps you might find it useful?

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:18 am

TerryRC wrote:So have you ever even used a GPS unit? I can't believe you would expostulate on a subject that you were less than expert in...

Jeez. You've been here for years, guy. That is Sam's trademark- feighning expertise that he doesn't have. Maybe Sam is right about one thing after all- that you are a slow learner. Cool
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:51 am

Do you think I really meant that? Is my sarcasm detector broken?

Do I NEED to use my [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags?

So many questions, so few answers...

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:54 am

P.S., Zig.

Sam and Aaron will accuse me of playing favorites if I don't point out that you spelled "feigning" wrong.

The new Firefox will highlight misspelled words. I love it.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:05 am

TerryRC wrote:PS, Sam, your spelling is as bad as Aaron's ("obselete", indeed). Care to talk more about your ability to "educate"?

Firefox has a free spell-checker. Perhaps you might find it useful?

TRC, why should I use a spell-checker ......... if you do not use one?

Is it that smartasses like yourself with a Master's Degree are not obligated to do so?

Maybe that "do do some work" was not actually a spelling error ...... but only a subliminal expression of the kind of work you plan on doing at Poca. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:12 am

Ask Garmin. It was on their web page. I'm not the tech savy one. I've said that like 4 times. Is it really that difficult for you to understand? Maybe the problem's not with the machine but the operator. Ever think of that.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:18 am

Ask Garmin. It was on their web page. I'm not the tech savy one. I've said that like 4 times. Is it really that difficult for you to understand? Maybe the problem's not with the machine but the operator. Ever think of that.

No, Aaron, I did not. That is because my machine works exactly as it was advertised.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:19 am

TRC, why should I use a spell-checker ......... if you do not use one?

Is it that smartasses like yourself with a Master's Degree are not obligated to do so?

Ya got me, Sam. I didn't proof my post.

When are you going to admit your errors?

Smart asses should be two words, BTW.

TerryRC

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:37 am

TerryRC wrote:Do you think I really meant that? Is my sarcasm detector broken?

Do I NEED to use my [sarcasm][/sarcasm] tags?...

No, you're doing fine. I recognized it, and was just "piling on".
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:28 pm

Aaron wrote:

It's on there web page? Kinoki has a website that swears it will cure all that ails you by pulling all the toxins out of your body through your feet while you sleep. There website says it, so it must be true, right? LOL

Akavar says I can eat all I want and still lose weight. That must be true too because they say it on TV!

You know, when viewed properly, Aaron, you're a funny guy. Laughing

Today I was in Staples and happened to spot the Garmins. Made me think of you guys. I am so clueless about new technology it isn't even funny. I loathe the concept of tracking devices. I won't even carry a cell phone. Once I realized I could be located by my cell, I gave it up.

You know, just because I'm a little paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:02 pm

Stephanie wrote:Today I was in Staples and happened to spot the Garmins. Made me think of you guys. I am so clueless about new technology it isn't even funny. I loathe the concept of tracking devices. I won't even carry a cell phone. Once I realized I could be located by my cell, I gave it up.

From whom are you hiding?

That's not meant to be a smart-assed question. But seriously, the best place to "hide" is right out in the open. As I like to say, "Here I am, warts and all. Now, what are you going to do with me?" When "they" know that they can "get you" just any time, they are more likely to just leave you the hell alone.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:11 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Aaron wrote:

It's on there web page? Kinoki has a website that swears it will cure all that ails you by pulling all the toxins out of your body through your feet while you sleep. There website says it, so it must be true, right? LOL

Akavar says I can eat all I want and still lose weight. That must be true too because they say it on TV!

Today I was in Staples and happened to spot the Garmins. Made me think of you guys. I am so clueless about new technology it isn't even funny. I loathe the concept of tracking devices. I won't even carry a cell phone. Once I realized I could be located by my cell, I gave it up.

You know, just because I'm a little paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me.

I won't carry one because I know how to read a map and I don't need a gadget that tells me to turn right...onto a set of railroad tracks.

It's happened.

What's worse.

The driver turned right, onto the RR tracks and got hit by a train.

How bad is that???
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:39 pm

ziggy wrote:
Stephanie wrote:Today I was in Staples and happened to spot the Garmins. Made me think of you guys. I am so clueless about new technology it isn't even funny. I loathe the concept of tracking devices. I won't even carry a cell phone. Once I realized I could be located by my cell, I gave it up.

From whom are you hiding?

That's not meant to be a smart-assed question. But seriously, the best place to "hide" is right out in the open. As I like to say, "Here I am, warts and all. Now, what are you going to do with me?" When "they" know that they can "get you" just any time, they are more likely to just leave you the hell alone.

LOL This is a contagious affliction, Ziggy. I "caught" it from my dear husband. I'm not hiding from anyone. I'm probably too out in the open. I have no problem letting my elected officials know, in writing, exactly how I feel about various issues. I've signed petitions and protested in person against the Iraqi war, the REAL ID, the Patriot Act, the Apartheid Wall, the occupation of Palestine, and abortion.

So they know where I stand on the issues. They know where I live, and I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is for anyone to be able to know where I am 24/7/365, particularly any agent or agency of our government. They're on a need to know basis and they don't need to know my location at any given moment.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Aaron wrote:
Stephanie wrote:
Aaron wrote:

I won't carry one because I know how to read a map and I don't need a gadget that tells me to turn right...onto a set of railroad tracks.

It's happened.

What's worse.

How bad is that???

OMG! I used 'there' instead of 'their' more than once in that post. I must have been really tired.

Anyway.....so how is it you don't trust the device to give you good directions, but you have every confidence it can give the location of the individual carrying it at all times, regardless of terrain and weather conditions and other factors?

hhmmm......
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:57 pm

Stephanie wrote:
OMG! I used 'there' instead of 'their' more than once in that post. I must have been really tired.

Anyway.....so how is it you don't trust the device to give you good directions, but you have every confidence it can give the location of the individual carrying it at all times, regardless of terrain and weather conditions and other factors?

hhmmm......

Just to get this straight, you're asking me if trust a piece of equipment that can look down and see a 'device' used for transportation and plot the exact longitude and latitude of a moving vehicle in conjunction of a set point on earth?

Or are you saying I shouldn't trust that peiece of machinery becasue it told a human to turn onto a set of railroad tracks that were exactly where the piece of machinery said it was and the human was dumb enough to do it?

Which is it?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:38 pm

Well, did an alien from a much higher evolved society program the device you are discussing?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:58 am

Does anyone but me think it is truly asinine and silly to pass Laws against "talking on Cell phones while driving a vehicle" ........... but never discussing or passing Laws against "reading directions displayed by a GPS unit while driving a vehicle"?

I believe I would rather "meet" ten (10) drivers talking on Cell phones ....... than I would one (1) lost and confused driver trying to read "directions" on a GPS display and the matching road/street signs at the same time.

Razz Razz Razz Razz

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:27 am

The talking isn't too bad, it's the dialing and the text messaging.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:53 am

Stephanie wrote:Well, did an alien from a much higher evolved society program the device you are discussing?

You'll have to explain what you mean. I'm not sure what you're getting at.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:21 am

Human error caused the the incident with the railroad tracks. A human being made a mistake in setting the map up and you described the results.

A human being designed and programmed the device and the satellite. Why is it they are infallible? Was the Pope involved in the design, construction, and programming?

Also, equipment malfunctions all the time. Machines and devices don't always perform the way they are supposed to all of the time.

I think you get my point just fine.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:20 pm

Stephanie wrote:Human error caused the the incident with the railroad tracks. A human being made a mistake in setting the map up and you described the results.

A human being designed and programmed the device and the satellite. Why is it they are infallible? Was the Pope involved in the design, construction, and programming?

Also, equipment malfunctions all the time. Machines and devices don't always perform the way they are supposed to all of the time.

I think you get my point just fine.

I don't know if you realize it or not Stephanie but the machine is only as smart as the operator and you can't blame the machine for lack of intelligence.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:12 am

Aaron wrote:I won't carry one because I know how to read a map and I don't need a gadget that tells me to turn right...onto a set of railroad tracks.

It's happened.

What's worse.

How bad is that???

Now Aaron, I've been thinking about that, ......... and I find it hard to believe.

Hard to believe that the person "codeing" the GPS instructions would actually state "turn right on/onto the railroad tracks".

Now one can't turn right on/onto railroad tracks except at a Railroad Crossing and anyone doing that is most probably not intelligent enough to "read/follow GPS instructions".

Now I do remember an incident of 30+ years ago of a truck driver from down South that was delivering a load into Phila driving a dual-wheel single axel truck. When he asked directions he was told to "just stay on this road and follow those subway tracks into the City."

Well now, several miles down the road, the subway tracks crossed the road at about a 45 degree angle and headed into a tunnel opening to go underground.

And "YUP", that dude "hung a left" onto those tracks and kept driving until those dual wheels "locked up" on the tracks and wouldn't go any farther.

cheers

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next