WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majority of Muslims supports death for anyone leaving Islam

+3
Stephanie
ziggy
Keli
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Majority of Muslims supports death for anyone leaving Islam - Page 2 Empty Re: Majority of Muslims supports death for anyone leaving Islam

Post by Stephanie Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:27 am

Nothing like a bit of spin, is there? I'm sure Mr. Shenker displayed the utmost journalistic integrity when providing analysis of this poll.

I encourage you all to read the results for yourself, but here are some highlights from the actual Pew poll:

More than nine-in-ten (94%) Muslims in Lebanon express negative opinions of al Qaeda, as do majorities of Muslims in Turkey (74%), Egypt (72%), Jordan (62%) and Indonesia (56%). Only in Nigeria do Muslims express positive views of al Qaeda; 49% have a favorable view and just 34% have an unfavorable view of bin Laden’s organization.

When asked for their views about democracy, majorities in most of the Muslim communities surveyed say that democracy is preferable to any other kind of government. This view is especially widespread in Lebanon and in Turkey, where at least three-quarters of Muslims (81% and 76%, respectively) express a preference for democratic governance. Support for democracy is less common in Pakistan, but a plurality (42%) of Muslims in that country prefer democracy to other types of government; 15% of Pakistani Muslims say that, in some circumstances, a non-democratic government can be preferable, and 21% say that, for someone like them, the kind of government their country has does not matter.

•Eight-in-ten Muslims in Pakistan say suicide bombing and other acts of violence against civilian targets in order to defend Islam from its enemies are never justified; majorities in Turkey (77%), Indonesia (69%) and Jordan (54%) share this view. Support for suicide bombing has declined considerably over the years. For example, while 74% of Muslims in Lebanon said these violent acts were at least sometimes justified in 2002, just 39% say that is the case now; double-digit declines have also occurred in Jordan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Indonesia.

Majorities of Muslims in Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan and Nigeria say they would favor making harsh punishments such as stoning people who commit adultery; whippings and cutting off of hands for crimes like theft and robbery; and the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion the law in their country. In the other predominantly Muslim countries surveyed – Turkey, Lebanon and Indonesia – most Muslims oppose these measures.

About eight-in-ten Muslims in Egypt and Pakistan (82% each) endorse the stoning of people who commit adultery; 70% of Muslims in Jordan and 56% of Nigerian Muslims share this view. Muslims in Pakistan and Egypt are also the most supportive of whippings and cutting off of hands for crimes like theft and robbery; 82% in Pakistan and 77% in Egypt favor making this type of punishment the law in their countries, as do 65% of Muslims in Nigeria and 58% in Jordan.

When asked about the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion, at least three-quarters of Muslims in Jordan (86%), Egypt (84%) and Pakistan (76%) say they would favor making it the law; in Nigeria, 51% of Muslims favor and 46% oppose it. In contrast, Muslims in Lebanon, Turkey and Indonesia largely reject the notion that harsh punishments should be the law in their countries. About three-quarters of Turkish and Lebanese Muslims oppose the stoning of people who commit adultery (77% and 76%, respectively), as does a narrower majority (55%) of Muslims in Indonesia.

Opposition to whippings and cutting off of hands for crimes like theft and robbery and to the death penalty for people who leave Islam is even more widespread in these three countries; 86% of Muslims in Lebanon, 82% in Turkey and 61% in Indonesia are against making harsh punishments for robbery and theft the law in their countries, and 93%, 91% and 64%, respectively, object to the death penalty against those who leave the Muslim religion.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Majority of Muslims supports death for anyone leaving Islam - Page 2 Empty Re: Majority of Muslims supports death for anyone leaving Islam

Post by Keli Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:47 am

Stephanie wrote:Nothing like a bit of spin, is there? I'm sure Mr. Shenker displayed the utmost journalistic integrity when providing analysis of this poll.

I encourage you all to read the results for yourself, but here are some highlights from the actual Pew poll:

More than nine-in-ten (94%) Muslims in Lebanon express negative opinions of al Qaeda, as do majorities of Muslims in Turkey (74%), Egypt (72%), Jordan (62%) and Indonesia (56%). Only in Nigeria do Muslims express positive views of al Qaeda; 49% have a favorable view and just 34% have an unfavorable view of bin Laden’s organization.

When asked for their views about democracy, majorities in most of the Muslim communities surveyed say that democracy is preferable to any other kind of government. This view is especially widespread in Lebanon and in Turkey, where at least three-quarters of Muslims (81% and 76%, respectively) express a preference for democratic governance. Support for democracy is less common in Pakistan, but a plurality (42%) of Muslims in that country prefer democracy to other types of government; 15% of Pakistani Muslims say that, in some circumstances, a non-democratic government can be preferable, and 21% say that, for someone like them, the kind of government their country has does not matter.

•Eight-in-ten Muslims in Pakistan say suicide bombing and other acts of violence against civilian targets in order to defend Islam from its enemies are never justified; majorities in Turkey (77%), Indonesia (69%) and Jordan (54%) share this view. Support for suicide bombing has declined considerably over the years. For example, while 74% of Muslims in Lebanon said these violent acts were at least sometimes justified in 2002, just 39% say that is the case now; double-digit declines have also occurred in Jordan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Indonesia.

Majorities of Muslims in Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan and Nigeria say they would favor making harsh punishments such as stoning people who commit adultery; whippings and cutting off of hands for crimes like theft and robbery; and the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion the law in their country. In the other predominantly Muslim countries surveyed – Turkey, Lebanon and Indonesia – most Muslims oppose these measures.

About eight-in-ten Muslims in Egypt and Pakistan (82% each) endorse the stoning of people who commit adultery; 70% of Muslims in Jordan and 56% of Nigerian Muslims share this view. Muslims in Pakistan and Egypt are also the most supportive of whippings and cutting off of hands for crimes like theft and robbery; 82% in Pakistan and 77% in Egypt favor making this type of punishment the law in their countries, as do 65% of Muslims in Nigeria and 58% in Jordan.

When asked about the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion, at least three-quarters of Muslims in Jordan (86%), Egypt (84%) and Pakistan (76%) say they would favor making it the law; in Nigeria, 51% of Muslims favor and 46% oppose it. In contrast, Muslims in Lebanon, Turkey and Indonesia largely reject the notion that harsh punishments should be the law in their countries. About three-quarters of Turkish and Lebanese Muslims oppose the stoning of people who commit adultery (77% and 76%, respectively), as does a narrower majority (55%) of Muslims in Indonesia.

Opposition to whippings and cutting off of hands for crimes like theft and robbery and to the death penalty for people who leave Islam is even more widespread in these three countries; 86% of Muslims in Lebanon, 82% in Turkey and 61% in Indonesia are against making harsh punishments for robbery and theft the law in their countries, and 93%, 91% and 64%, respectively, object to the death penalty against those who leave the Muslim religion.

Stephatima,
Remember that, according to the Times Square bomber, Muslims lie for Allah. The fact remains that "a majority of Muslims believe" that apostates should be killed--their good book says to kill them!

Keli
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:56 pm

Keli wrote:Stephatima,
Remember that, according to the Times Square bomber, Muslims lie for Allah. The fact remains that "a majority of Muslims believe" that apostates should be killed--their good book says to kill them!

Keli

And so then how do we know that they weren't "lying for Allah" in their answers to this poll, too?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:03 pm

ziggy wrote:
Keli wrote:Stephatima,

Keli

And so then how do we know that they weren't "lying for Allah" in their answers to this poll, too?

Exactly. I don't think it was a majority only; rather, I think that all Muslims are murderous--if they believe the Koran--and would advocate the murder of apostates.
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:02 pm

How many violent acts does the god of your bible condone? Didn't your god rain down fire & brimstone on Sodom & Gohmorra? Didn't he flood the entire planet killing every land creature that wasn't on the ark?

People who live in glass houses really shouln't throw boulders.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:22 am

Stephanie wrote:How many violent acts does the god of your bible condone? Didn't your god rain down fire & brimstone on Sodom & Gohmorra? Didn't he flood the entire planet killing every land creature that wasn't on the ark?

Back to our topic, can you name one contemporary Christian or Jewish sect which has a MAJORITY of adherents who believe that an apostate should be killed?

People who live under boulders shouldn't throw glass mosques.
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:28 am

Keli wrote:
Stephanie wrote:How many violent acts does the god of your bible condone? Didn't your god rain down fire & brimstone on Sodom & Gohmorra? Didn't he flood the entire planet killing every land creature that wasn't on the ark?

Back to our topic, can you name one contemporary Christian or Jewish sect which has a MAJORITY of adherents who believe that an apostate should be killed?

Muslim apostates should die because they have insulted Allah and trampled on the Koran! They should be stoned--not only their glass houses. Ala-awkbarf!
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:31 am

Ich bin Ala-awkbarf! wrote:
Keli wrote:

Muslim apostates should die because they have insulted Allah and trampled on the Koran! They should be stoned--not only their glass houses. Ala-awkbarf!

I'm telling ya, it isn't healthy.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Being a Muslim isn't healthy! A missionary we support in Kenya reported that an 18 year old young woman became a Christian. When she reported that fact to her parents, her family beat her to death. Now, that's not healthy--but then again, approximately 500 million Muslims think that is a healthy thing. Do you, Stephanie?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Ich bin Ala-awkbarf! wrote:
Keli wrote:

I'm telling ya, it isn't healthy.

Stephanie,

As a friend, list the three to five things that you find most abhorrent about "fundies" and separately about Zionists.
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:19 pm

You're kidding me, right? Do you think of anything else any more, or is this it?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Stephanie wrote:You're kidding me, right? Do you think of anything else any more, or is this it?

It is all that I am thinking about in this posted topic. Can you or can you not list the three to five things that you disagree most about "fundies" and Zionists?
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:53 pm

I disagree with the notion that god got bored and created everything in a week. I disagree with the notion that there is some all powerful, all knowing being somewhere that cares about what Stephanie Butcher or Terry Hagedorn is doing, or who they're doing it with. I disagree that homosexuality is a "sin". I don't think that if there is a god he plays favorites. I don't believe religion should determine US foreign policy. I don't think Muslims are all evil, in fact, I don't think all of any particular demographic is good or bad. I don't think the future of the planet and/or the species is preordained. I don't believe in "prophecy".

Did you know Jews don't believe in hell? I find that interesting.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Keli Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Stephanie wrote:I disagree with the notion that god got bored and created everything in a week. I disagree with the notion that there is some all powerful, all knowing being somewhere that cares about what Stephanie Butcher or Terry Hagedorn is doing, or who they're doing it with. I disagree that homosexuality is a "sin". I don't think that if there is a god he plays favorites. I don't believe religion should determine US foreign policy. I don't think Muslims are all evil, in fact, I don't think all of any particular demographic is good or bad. I don't think the future of the planet and/or the species is preordained. I don't believe in "prophecy".

Did you know Jews don't believe in hell? I find that interesting.

I know one Jew Who spoke about Hell three times for every two times that He spoke about Heaven...
Keli
Keli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2