WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Less than half of students proficient in science

+2
Cato
SamCogar
6 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Less than half of students proficient in science  Empty Less than half of students proficient in science

Post by SamCogar Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:32 pm

The nation's students are still struggling in science, with less than half considered proficient and just a tiny fraction showing the advanced skills that could lead to careers in science and technology, according to results from an exam released Tuesday.

Only 1 percent of fourth-grade and 12th-grade students, and 2 percent of eighth-graders scored in the highest group on the 2009 National Assessment of Educational Progress, a federal test known as the Nation's Report Card.

"Our ability to create the next generation of U.S. leaders in science and technology is seriously in danger," said Alan Friedman, former director of the New York Hall of Science, and a member of the board that oversees the test.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=12756643

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Less than half of students proficient in science  Empty Re: Less than half of students proficient in science

Post by Cato Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:22 am

Will I guess teaching such great works of fiction such as "An Inconvienent Truth" and "The End of Suburbia" doesn't get the job done, now does it. I also guess that worrying about little Johnnie's esteem hasn't worked all the will either.

Cato

Number of posts : 2010

Back to top Go down

Less than half of students proficient in science  Empty Re: Less than half of students proficient in science

Post by Stephanie Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:26 pm

lol! Good one, Cato.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:16 pm

What they are teaching today is ........ come to school dis morning cause we'se know there a biggun snow storm coming and we'se gonna send ya home at noon so we won't lose a nutter Instructional Day.

I gotta go, dose snow flakes dun got biggern and closern ta getter and the ground dun turned white again.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:18 pm

The biggest obstruction to what a kid learns is teachers and their unions. That's not to say they are the only problem but they are certainly the biggest obsticle.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 am

Aaron wrote:The biggest obstruction to what a kid learns is teachers and their unions. That's not to say they are the only problem but they are certainly the biggest obsticle.

Saying it is one thing, backing up what you say is another. Explain what you mean.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:36 am

SamCogar wrote:What they are teaching today is ........ come to school dis morning cause we'se know there a biggun snow storm coming and we'se gonna send ya home at noon so we won't lose a nutter Instructional Day.

I gotta go, dose snow flakes dun got biggern and closern ta getter and the ground dun turned white again.

LOL. However, very true. Then again I wonder just how much real instruction takes place during an "instructional day".

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:48 am

Charter schools-teachers oppose
Voucher-teachers oppose
Teacher profeciency testing-teachers oppose
Paying teacher for tougher courses such as math and science-teachers oppose
Extended weeks to ensrue 180 days of instruction-teachers oppose
Year round school-teachers oppose
Teacher accountability-teachers oppose
Even elimintating compulsory attendance laws-teachers oppose
Strengthening the curriculm-teachers oppose.

Consider it backed.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:46 am

Aaron wrote:Charter schools-teachers oppose
Voucher-teachers oppose
Teacher profeciency testing-teachers oppose
Paying teacher for tougher courses such as math and science-teachers oppose
Extended weeks to ensrue 180 days of instruction-teachers oppose
Year round school-teachers oppose
Teacher accountability-teachers oppose
Even elimintating compulsory attendance laws-teachers oppose
Strengthening the curriculm-teachers oppose.

Consider it backed.

So you are telling me that a.) ALL Teachers Oppose the things you listed, b.) That teachers are the ones that make the final decisions on these matters, c.) the approval of these items are what stands of better student performance.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:27 pm

Now don't get picky, Willly ....... or are you bored n' homebound in this snow n' justa want to get Aaron riled up?

lol!

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:08 pm

SamCogar wrote:Now don't get picky, Willly ....... or are you bored n' homebound in this snow n' justa want to get Aaron riled up?

lol!

You got it affraid

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:20 pm

What part of my two post do you not understand Cato?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Aaron wrote:What part of my two post do you not understand Cato?

You made some pretty broad statements. I was hoping you'd clearify them a bit, that was all. However, if you don't wnat to that's fine.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Cato wrote:

You made some pretty broad statements. I was hoping you'd clearify them a bit, that was all. However, if you don't wnat to that's fine.

I did clarify them and was pretty specific. So what do you not understand?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:00 am

Aaron wrote:
Cato wrote:

I did clarify them and was pretty specific. So what do you not understand?

Your statements can be boiled down to, "Nobody's the Boss" or nobody is ultimately responsible. The fact of the matter is, Government Education is swimming in administration. Additionally, the last time I looked, understanding I'm not the governmental scholar you are, I believe the public elects folks to represent them and set policy. In other words, people are elected and charged with the responsibility of determining and carrying out educational policy.

Are teachers a part of the problem, yes. Are Teacher's Unions a part of the problem, yes. However, the root of the problem is to be found with the politicians that the public continues to send back to office. They set the, legislation, work rules, and policies that education operates under. Yes. it is true that teachers have pushed for many of the policies now in place, but the responsibility for these policies belongs to the politicians that are charged with enacting the legislation and appointing the bureaucrats that enact and enforce said policies.

The truth be known, however, the ultimate responsibility falls to the public itself. Republican government, after all, gets its power from the public. It appears, the education system you have today is what the public wants. After all, the public, which includes all of us, continue to send the same ilk back into office.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:05 am

Government education is swimming in adminstration because the teachers and their unions demanded it.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:39 am

Stephanie wrote:Government education is swimming in adminstration because the teachers and their unions demanded it.

Teachers and teacher's Unions have demanded it, that is true. However, demanding is one thing caving in to that demand is quite another. The fact is Unions get only what management allows. In this case Management, i.e. the legislature, caved and allowed it.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:55 am

The Legislature is swimming in teachers and former teachers and immediate family members of teachers. Why would you expect anything else?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:20 am

Stephanie wrote:The Legislature is swimming in teachers and former teachers and immediate family members of teachers. Why would you expect anything else?

OK, then doesn't it stand to reason that we, the public, need to remove these people. Don't we choose we choose those who represent us? Further, if we are not satisfied with what the public chooses to send to office, don't we also have the ability to remove our kids from the public school system and either educate them at home or find a good private school for them to attend.

The thing is people like Aaron and you want to make a broad statement that the major problem with public education is teachers (period end of sentence). In the process you ignore the people who are responsibile, the politicians and the public that puts the politicians in office.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:27 am

OK, the problem with people like you is your refusal to acknowlege the stranglehold the powerful teacher unions have over local, state, and federal politics. The NEA & AFT have extraordinarily deep pockets.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Stephanie wrote:OK, the problem with people like you is your refusal to acknowlege the stranglehold the powerful teacher unions have over local, state, and federal politics. The NEA & AFT have extraordinarily deep pockets.

I don't ignore the fact they are powerful and have deep pockets, however, that still doesn't excuse politicans from living up to the responsibilities they have been charged with.

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:54 am

Cato wrote:However, the root of the problem is to be found with the politicians that the public continues to send back to office. They set the, legislation, work rules, and policies that education operates under.

The only problem with your soapbox rant Cato is that the House Education Committee has 23 members. The committee chair, Delegate Poling is a retired educator. Vice Chair Delegate Paxton is a retired educator. Minority Chair Delegate Duke is a retired educator. Minority Vice Chair Delegate Sumner is a current educator. Of the other 19 members, 16 or 17 are former educators.

The Senate Education Committee has 4 or 5 of the 14 members that have a history in education.

Teachers are in fact the individuals who are writing legislation, work rules, and policies that education operates under and considering of the 55 counties, the BOE is the largest employer in 34 counties, it is those teachers support that are passing the legislation that has been written by teachers. Nothing goes on in the school system of this state without the approval of teachers.

As I said, teachers are the biggest obstacle in improving education in this state and your soapbox speech does nothing but reinforce that fact.

Cato wrote:
Stephanie wrote:Government education is swimming in adminstration because the teachers and their unions demanded it.

Teachers and teacher's Unions have demanded it, that is true. However, demanding is one thing caving in to that demand is quite another. The fact is Unions get only what management allows. In this case Management, i.e. the legislature, caved and allowed it.

In this case, management, i.e. the Legislature is dominated by teachers. They compromise the majority of the House Education Committe and of the 34 State Senators and 100 Delegates, over 70% either have a background in education or have a spouse with a background in education. Teachers not only demand administration, as legislatures, it is teachers who have as you state "caved" and it is teachers who spend nearly 60% of our tax dollars on education.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:03 am

Cato wrote:
Stephanie wrote:OK, the problem with people like you is your refusal to acknowlege the stranglehold the powerful teacher unions have over local, state, and federal politics. The NEA & AFT have extraordinarily deep pockets.

I don't ignore the fact they are powerful and have deep pockets, however, that still doesn't excuse politicans from living up to the responsibilities they have been charged with.

As I have proven, the politicans in this state are either teachers or controlled by teachers. By your logic, teachers are responsible for not only the shortcomings of education but all of West Virginian's shortcomings. Interesting take Cato.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Cato Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 am

Aaron wrote:
Cato wrote:

As I have proven, the politicans in this state are either teachers or controlled by teachers. By your logic, teachers are responsible for not only the shortcomings of education but all of West Virginian's shortcomings. Interesting take Cato.

How do you arrive at that conclusion?

Cato

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:09 am

It's not a conclusion, it's a fact that anyone with the slightest modem of sense can see. What about it do you not understand?

Last edited by Aaron on Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next