WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OIL POLL

+2
Aaron
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Dems will reverse course--pull a Kerry--and support drilling offshore and in ANWAR before November?

OIL POLL Vote_lcap33%OIL POLL Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 1 ]
OIL POLL Vote_lcap67%OIL POLL Vote_rcap 67% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

OIL POLL Empty OIL POLL

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Sat May 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Will Dems suddenly become pro-drilling for American oil?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

OIL POLL Empty Re: OIL POLL

Post by Aaron Sat May 24, 2008 11:15 pm

If Democrats want to solve our energy crisis they will. If anyone believes that OPEC will continue to out produce demand once consumption starts going down, they're loony. OPEC will keep oil above $100.00/barrell. The only way we increase supply to bring the price down is if it is with American oil.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat May 24, 2008 11:25 pm

Do you think they want to solve the energy crisis?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat May 24, 2008 11:29 pm

Who, democrats?

Maybe a few but as a party, no, I don't.

Of course, I'm not so sure Republicans want to either but at least the have the motivating factor of profits from American oil which will at least benefit Americans.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sat May 24, 2008 11:37 pm

The BIG republicans are heavily invested in keeping oil prices high not low.

Yes, many big dems are also.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat May 24, 2008 11:41 pm

I don't think the big wigs in either party are particularly interested in lowering the price of oil.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sat May 24, 2008 11:50 pm

shermangeneral wrote:The BIG republicans are heavily invested in keeping oil prices high not low.

Why? It is their feed stock that has increased 600% over the past 7 years while the profit percentage is pretty much the same as it was in 2001.

I think you misunderstand Sherm exactly where all the money is going?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun May 25, 2008 10:19 am

Aaron wrote:
shermangeneral wrote:The BIG republicans are heavily invested in keeping oil prices high not low.

Why? It is their feed stock that has increased 600% over the past 7 years while the profit percentage is pretty much the same as it was in 2001.

And 5 percent of 600 billion dollars is 6 times more than 5 percent of 100 billion dollars. So what's your point? If profit on "feed stock" is the measuring stick, then investment incentive in keeping oil prices higher instead of lower is obvious.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun May 25, 2008 10:39 am

ziggy wrote:
Aaron wrote:

And 5 percent of 600 billion dollars is 6 times more than 5 percent of 100 billion dollars. So what's your point? If profit on "feed stock" is the measuring stick, then investment incentive in keeping oil prices higher instead of lower is obvious.

The only reason Exxon has record profits is due to record sales, not price gouging. But you liberals/democrats conveniently leave that out when you hold hearings (In election years no less. Wasn’t the last hearings in 2006? For some reason I don’t seem to recall any last year when prices were higher then in 2006? You have any reason for that happening?) to show the constituents back home that it is the liberals/democrats that have the simple folks interest at heart?

That is my point Frank.

Since we’re asking questions, would you have oil companies under invested so that they can't look for new and altertanitive sources for energy to actually fix our energy crisis, or do you think the answers are going to be solved with ‘windfall taxes‘?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun May 25, 2008 10:42 am

What incentive do oil companies have to look for alternative sources, Aaron?

Also you said above that I dont understand where the money goes.

Can you please explain it then.?

(this should be good... Very Happy )

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun May 25, 2008 10:45 am

The money goes to those who actually own the oil sherm.

And the incentatives for altertantive sources is simple Sherm.

Money as in profits.

Which ever company corners the market on a proven, reliable energy source corners the market and makes the most money. What better incentative is there?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun May 25, 2008 11:00 am

"...The money goes to those who actually own the oil sherm..."

And do you have any idea how they keep the gravy train rolling?

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/1211-05.htm

(This is what I mean about your guys having an incentive to keep the price high not low.)

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun May 25, 2008 11:15 am

I'm an independent Sherm. I don't have guys.

Your story was from 2001 when oil was still below $25.00 per barrel. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, hasn't some of the sharpest increases in the price of oil come AFTER your guys took control of Congress? That doesn't seem right though. Wasn't it your guys that campaigned and PROMISED that they would LOWER the price of oil? So how's that working out Sherm.

But for the record, I don't think it is only Republicans that have dealt with Saudi Arabia. I'm pretty sure democrats have given them the same sweet deal that Republicans have.

In fact, wasn't it your guys in the democratic led Congress that ust approved the $20 Billion arms deal last year?

I wonder how much democratic members of Congress profited off that deal?

Last edited by Aaron on Sun May 25, 2008 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Sun May 25, 2008 11:19 am

Since we’re asking questions, would you have oil companies under invested so that they can't look for new and altertanitive sources for energy to actually fix our energy crisis, or do you think the answers are going to be solved with ‘windfall taxes‘?

Well hells bells, we have more oil now than we can waste as fast a some people want us to. We do not have insufficient oil.

We still have an immensely wasteful "give us more at an even higher price" attitude of live for today and to hell with tomorrow attitude about oi, and about economics in generall. The problem is not that there is not enough oil. The problem is that oil is still too cheap to encourage the wise use of it. But we're getting there- however slowly.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun May 25, 2008 11:22 am

Please check my earlier post on that subject Aaron. and you will see that I included Democrats.

You guys keep branding me as blindly partisan and I repeatedly have pointed out the shortcomings of Democrats.

So why do you do that?

I know you know better.

You are not dumb.

(but I would rather be dumb than devious.)

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun May 25, 2008 11:27 am

Yes we are. And look who's doing the most crying.

Gas prices lower tax revenue
Tax collections overall are higher
High gasoline prices are beginning to affect state gas tax collections, Revenue Secretary Virgil Helton told legislators Monday.
By Phil Kabler
Staff writer
High gasoline prices are beginning to affect state gas tax collections, Revenue Secretary Virgil Helton told legislators Monday.

In April, the state tax - 32.2 cents per gallon - brought in $30.5 million. That was $2.35 million, or 7 percent, less than projected for the month, Helton told the Council of Finance and Administration.

Collections also were down $1.3 million, or 4 percent, compared to April 2007, when the gas tax brought in $31.87 million.

"The price of gasoline in the last two or three months has caused consumers to change their driving habits to the extent they can," Helton said. "You're seeing less gas consumed."

He said gas prices also are affecting toll collections on the West Virginia Turnpike. Collections have been down about 5 percent in March and April, compared to the same months in 2007, he said.

As Senate Finance Chairman Walt Helmick noted, if the trend persists, it would be a major blow to a state Road Fund that already struggles to keep pace with demands for road-building projects

Gas tax collections - projected at $380 million for the 2008-09 budget year, which begins July 1 - account for 60 percent of the state's share of the state Road Fund.

Transportation Secretary Paul Mattox said recently that the state's priority list for new highway construction projects would cost more than $25 billion - meaning that most of the projects on the list will never be built.

Helmick, D-Pocahontas, said the Legislature needs to focus now on alternative ways to finance highway construction in the state.

In April, the state tax - 32.2 cents per gallon - brought in $30.5 million. That was $2.35 million, or 7 percent, less than projected for the month, Helton told the Council of Finance and Administration.

Collections also were down $1.3 million, or 4 percent, compared to April 2007, when the gas tax brought in $31.87 million.

"The price of gasoline in the last two or three months has caused consumers to change their driving habits to the extent they can," Helton said. "You're seeing less gas consumed."

He said gas prices also are affecting toll collections on the West Virginia Turnpike. Collections have been down about 5 percent in March and April, compared to the same months in 2007, he said.

As Senate Finance Chairman Walt Helmick noted, if the trend persists, it would be a major blow to a state Road Fund that already struggles to keep pace with demands for road-building projects

Gas tax collections - projected at $380 million for the 2008-09 budget year, which begins July 1 - account for 60 percent of the state's share of the state Road Fund.

Transportation Secretary Paul Mattox said recently that the state's priority list for new highway construction projects would cost more than $25 billion - meaning that most of the projects on the list will never be built.

Helmick, D-Pocahontas, said the Legislature needs to focus now on alternative ways to finance highway construction in the state.

"We can't wait until next year to say, 'Where are we going to come up with another $40 million to $50 million for our road-building costs?' " he told the council.

He also noted that, because state Road Fund dollars are used to match federal highway funds, the true impact of a downturn in gas tax collections could be in the $80 million to $100 million range in the 2008-09 budget year.

source
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun May 25, 2008 11:31 am

shermangeneral wrote:Please check my earlier post on that subject Aaron. and you will see that I included Democrats.

You guys keep branding me as blindly partisan and I repeatedly have pointed out the shortcomings of Democrats.

So why do you do that?

I know you know better.

You are not dumb.

(but I would rather be dumb than devious.)

You said Dems Sherm. You don't classify yourself as a Dem. You believe you're a little 'd' democrat. Yes, you are blindly partisan. The posting of your article only enforces that thinking.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Sun May 25, 2008 2:03 pm

Aaron wrote:The money goes to those who actually own the oil sherm.

And the incentatives for altertantive sources is simple Sherm.

Money as in profits.

Which ever company corners the market on a proven, reliable energy source corners the market and makes the most money. What better incentative is there?

And Sherman damn well knows that too.

The State of WV has "cornered the market" on every drop of Alcoholic Beverages that is sold in the State.

The State sets the sale price of every bottle of booze that it sells to the Licensed Liquor Dealers ...... and even tells the retailers what price they can sell it for.

The State makes more profits on the booze than either the producer or the retailer.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun May 25, 2008 2:12 pm

Well the words are still there for anybody to see.

And your propaganda to the contrary won't change my words if any objective person wants to read them.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun May 25, 2008 3:17 pm

Of all the areas of contention and disagreement amongst the posters on this forum Sherm, I'm confident that your partianship is not one of them. Very Happy
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun May 25, 2008 3:28 pm

Well like I said the post is still there. And I very clearly included democrats.

So if any object person wants to check and see who is telling the truth they can do so.

If they are not objective and do not want to know the truth then they can just read your analysis of what I posted.

Facts are stubborn things.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun May 25, 2008 4:44 pm

Well Sherm it's good to know that you now blame all democrats as well as Republicans for the high cost of oil and gas. You have my apologizes.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun May 25, 2008 7:58 pm

I rest my case.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Sun May 25, 2008 8:22 pm

And now everyone believes you're a moderate Democrat Sherm and that partisan politics isn't your guiding light.

Rolling Eyes
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun May 25, 2008 8:29 pm

Well I still just invite any interested party to read my words.

As opposed to your explanation of what I really meant to say.

Because I think anyone would concede I know what I meant better than you do.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next