WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech

5 posters

Go down

Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech Empty Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Mon May 26, 2008 2:03 pm

Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech [Happy Memorial Day Weekend...]
Yahoo ^

BRONXVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — Oscar-winner Jessica Lange bashed the Bush administration and denounced the war in Iraq during a commencement address at Sarah Lawrence College.

The star of "Tootsie" and "Blue Sky" was applauded by students Friday at the small liberal arts college after comparing the conflict with the Vietnam War. She said the graduates have "a heavy burden" to chart a new path for the country.

"We are living in an America that, in the last seven and a half years, has waged an unnecessary war, established prison camps, condoned torture, employed corporate armies, eliminated the right of habeas corpus, practiced extraordinary rendition, and believe me, this is only a partial list," Lange said.

Lange asked the graduates, including her 22-year-old daughter Hannah Shepard, to commit themselves to the "pursuit of peace."

And, Heath Ledger was not available for his political insights because he is dead. However, attempts are being made to reach Sean Penn.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech Empty Re: Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech

Post by Keli Thu May 29, 2008 3:14 pm

Susan Sarandon: If Obama loses, I’ll be “checking out”--leaving America. Spokesman for Heath Ledger says that he will remain dead--no matter what.
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech Empty Re: Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech

Post by Stephanie Thu May 29, 2008 6:33 pm

Keli,

What did Ms. Lange say that was untrue?

Sometimes the truth hurts. Does that mean we should ignore and avoid it?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 pm

Stephanie wrote:Keli,

I believe that the War in Iraq has become the focus of al Qaeda's attention. Therefore, we have not had another attack on our land. I think that you might be dreaming, if you think that if Gore or Kerry had been elected that the same would be true.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu May 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Whether it's the truth or not isn't relevant. Ms. Lange did not know who was in attendance at this graduation or what the views of other parents, students or faculty were. If she wanted to make a political speech, she has certainly developed enough of a following that she could have done so in an appropriate setting.

You would not be happy if the commencement speaker at Buffalo high school gave his speech and lambasted Ron Paul for half an hour or so. A graduation ceremony for students other then her own was neither the time nor the place.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu May 29, 2008 9:57 pm

Armon Ayers wrote:

I believe that the War in Iraq has become the focus of al Qaeda's attention. Therefore, we have not had another attack on our land. I think that you might be dreaming, if you think that if Gore or Kerry had been elected that the same would be true.

Keli,

I didn't vote for Gore or Kerry. I have already admitted to voting for Bush TWICE!

I believe the war in Iraq has created more refugees and more terrorists. I believe the war in Afghanistan hurt their organization.

Are you conceding she spoke the truth?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Thu May 29, 2008 10:04 pm

Aaron wrote:

Whether it's the truth or not isn't relevant. Ms. Lange did not know who was in attendance at this graduation or what the views of other parents, students or faculty were. If she wanted to make a political speech, she has certainly developed enough of a following that she could have done so in an appropriate setting.

You would not be happy if the commencement speaker at Buffalo high school gave his speech and lambasted Ron Paul for half an hour or so. A graduation ceremony for students other then her own was neither the time nor the place.

Colleges and universities across the nation regularly bring in politicians to speak at their commencement exercises. They pay big bucks to get guys like Bill Clinton to give these speeches. Is Jessica Lange not allowed to discuss current events at a her daughter's graduation because she hasn't spent decades catering to special interest groups up on Capitol Hill?

HS graduations are not the same. I've probably attended over 2 dozen high school graduations and I have never heard speeches about political issues like this. However, at commencement exercises, now that is another story. I've been to about a dozen, all included very politically oriented speeches. I doubt too many people were all that surprised.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu May 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Aaron wrote:

Whether it's the truth or not isn't relevant.

Spoken like a true but blind apologist for unnecessary war.

Ms. Lange did not know who was in attendance at this graduation or what the views of other parents, students or faculty were. If she wanted to make a political speech, she has certainly developed enough of a following that she could have done so in an appropriate setting.

We can only presume that she was an invited graduation speaker. As such, was she expected to do other that speak her real thoughts?

...................... A graduation ceremony for students other then her own was neither the time nor the place.

Take that up with the people who invited her. She had the stage and the microphone. Saying anything other than what was on her mind would have been dishonest.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu May 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Armon Ayers wrote:

You made a short speech. But you did not answer either of Stephanie's questions.

So again, what did Ms. Lange say that was untrue? Sometimes the truth hurts. Does that mean we should ignore and avoid it?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri May 30, 2008 2:41 am

BS!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri May 30, 2008 11:29 am

Aaron wrote:Whether it's the truth or not isn't relevant. ...............................

I just wanted to save that one for posterity. It's a beauty.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri May 30, 2008 12:09 pm

ziggy wrote:
Aaron wrote:Whether it's the truth or not isn't relevant. ...............................

I just wanted to save that one for posterity. It's a beauty.

Damn I wish I had done that!

Thank you, Ziggy.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri May 30, 2008 12:17 pm

And it's still BS regardless of how liberal the school is!

But that's about par for the coures, right Frank!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri May 30, 2008 12:25 pm

OIC......so is the truth now liberal bs?

Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech 33948
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri May 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Sarah Lawrence takes pride in being a 'liberal' institution of learning. That is fact. And you know what Steph. If they take no federal grant money, then they've every right to be as liberal as they want to be. But if they take federal grant money, then they have no business playing politics, don't you agree!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri May 30, 2008 12:35 pm

Then you'd better tell that to all the other colleges and universities that accept public money. Almost without exception commencement speakers talk politics, not to mention the tripe many of their professors spew.

Right, Aaron?

Or is the truth irrelevant regarding this too????
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri May 30, 2008 1:32 pm

Stephanie wrote:Then you'd better tell that to all the other colleges and universities that accept public money. Almost without exception commencement speakers talk politics, not to mention the tripe many of their professors spew.

Right, Aaron?

Or is the truth irrelevant regarding this too????

No ma'am, for once you are 100% correct. Why should my child or your child or anyone else’s child be forced to set and listen to someone else’s political opinion on one of the most special days of their lives?

That is the truth.

But since you're so obsessed with the truth here, why don't you show me complete absolute proof of everything Ms. Lange said. Think you or Frank can do that?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri May 30, 2008 2:04 pm

We are living in an America that, in the last seven and a half years, has waged an unnecessary war, established prison camps, condoned torture, employed corporate armies, eliminated the right of habeas corpus, practiced extraordinary rendition, and believe me, this is only a partial list," Lange said.

Iraq was unnecessary, you say so yourself.

Prison camps....you have heard of Gitmo etc, correct?

Are you denying the US government utilizes torture against prisoners in Gitmo and other locations? If so I'll provide you some links.

What do you call Blackwater if not a "corporate army"? If you prefer mercenaries I'll fire off an email to Lange chastizing her choice of words.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?c109:3:./temp/~c109KnRjUE:e116721:

You enjoy using wiki. Search for "extraordinary rendtion" on there for a partial list of victims, with links to source information.

Let me also suggest a book for you...."The End of American" by Naomi Wolf.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri May 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Unnecessary in my opinion. But what I’m not saying is that GWB purposefully lied.

You must set up prison camps when you take a prisoner; that is a simple fact.

There are approved methods for interrogation that some might call torture. If that's what you're referring to, then no, I don't agree with that statement. Water boarding is one that most want to say is black and white. I don't agree with that. I will say that I think as American's, I think we should take the high road at all times but I understand that there are expectations to every rule.

I don't agree with Blackwater and don't understand why Congress continues to pay for it.

Bill Clinton signed in the law allowing rendition and it's something I don't really agree with. I understand why it's done but to me, we would be better off to not only eliminate that practice but to also establish a military court and all detainee's at Gitmo or taken by the US should be granted Habeas Corpus in that court.

I don't believe they should be allowed in American courts or are entitled to American constitutional rights but I do believe Habeas Corpus is a basic fundamental right all people are entitled to and we do nothing but lower ourselves to others standards by denying individuals of that basic right.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri May 30, 2008 4:42 pm

OK, well what did Jessica Lange say that is untrue? You deny the allegations of torture, is that it? Even if the worst case scenario is waterboarding (a point I'm unwilling to concede but what if) most experts on torture agree that waterboarding IS torture, not to mention the opinion of most Americans. So at worst she stretched the truth in your opinion?

You just don't agree with what she had to say.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri May 30, 2008 5:40 pm

Stephanie wrote:OK, well what did Jessica Lange say that is untrue? You deny the allegations of torture, is that it? Even if the worst case scenario is waterboarding (a point I'm unwilling to concede but what if) most experts on torture agree that waterboarding IS torture, not to mention the opinion of most Americans. So at worst she stretched the truth in your opinion?

You just don't agree with what she had to say.

Partially, but I though I made it clear that what I thought was WHERE she said it that was inapproiate. She's entitled to here opinion, right or wrong, just as your and I are.

But there is a time and a place for everything and I don't believe that was the time or the place. That's my opinion, which by the way, I'm entitled to.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri May 30, 2008 5:51 pm

Sure, we're all entitled to our opinions. I just feel as though you are criticizing her unfairly. It isn't as though she was the first to give a politically charged speech at a college graduation ceremony, nor will she be the last.

Politicians, journalists, authors, lawyers and others make enormous sums of money giving just these kinds of speeches at these events. Your gripe isn't with her and you shouldn't be criticizing her. Your chief complaint is with those who organize and plan these ceremonies. Of course, most graduates and their guests actually look forward to hearing a celebrity speak. Welcome to 21st century America.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri May 30, 2008 8:25 pm

Stephanie, college graduates are without the necessary discriminating judgments that Aaron has to discern what does and doesn't fit the preferred propaganda.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri May 30, 2008 8:34 pm

ziggy wrote:Stephanie, college graduates are without the necessary discriminating judgments that Aaron has to discern what does and doesn't fit the preferred propaganda.

You really are awesome, Ziggy!

Jessica Lange bashes Iraq war in graduation speech 762558
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down