WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 Reasons Why We need a Race Track near Hazelton, WV

3 posters

Go down

10 Reasons Why We need a Race Track near Hazelton, WV Empty 10 Reasons Why We need a Race Track near Hazelton, WV

Post by Keli Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:33 pm

10 Reasons Why We need a Race Track near Hazelton, WV

1. There are not enough trashy hole-in-the-wall Hot Spots on every other corner. We need one big centralized one.
2. There are too many healthy horses. We need more horses that are injured or euthanized for our entertainment.
3. Besides all the Wall Street bank failures, West Virginians needs another rat-hole to take their remaining money.
4. Even though fuel, food, medical and shelter costs are skyrocketing, West Virginians need somewhere to waste their leftover cash. (Otherwise all our complaining about the bad economic mess we're in seems empty when we have enough to gamble.)
5. There is not enough suffering, starvation and misery in America. We need to squander our riches so that we can better relate to Third World countries--for fairness sake!
6. Since we sued tobacco growers for making an addictive product, we need to encourage gambling for future lawsuits against the gaming industry.
7. We need to prove that changing "gambling" to "gaming" changes the effects of the gambling just as much as changing "German Chocolate Cake" to "Diet Cake" makes it have less calories.
8. A fool and his money is soon parted--why not let our states economy be built on said foolishness. That's how legislators will utilize the proceeds.
9. Certain portions of the revenue income will be spent to stop Global Warming, to save drowning Polar bears or to fund Bob Barker's Spay or Neuter program for pets
10. Old people have been lied to many time times about sharing in gambling revenues. "Free prescriptions," you say? Why not lie to the old codgers one more time? They don't have the money to gamble anyway!
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons Why We need a Race Track near Hazelton, WV Empty Re: 10 Reasons Why We need a Race Track near Hazelton, WV

Post by Aaron Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm

I take it your opposed to gambling Terry?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

10 Reasons Why We need a Race Track near Hazelton, WV Empty Re: 10 Reasons Why We need a Race Track near Hazelton, WV

Post by Keli Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:38 pm

One part of me feels that gambling revenues might mean lower taxes for me: i.e. gambling revenue is tax for dummies; however, another part of me knows that gambling is immoral and its affects are addiction and misery.
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:23 am

Why is gambling immoral?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:46 am

Well Aaron I am opposed to the state promoting gambling and deliberately taxing the most vulnerable and least able to pay.

As to whether it is "immoral" I don't know.

And I don't like the state being addicted to the ill-gotten revenue, but we are.

I don't believe the urge to gamble by some people will ever end.

But the state should not be promoting it, imo.

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:58 am

Also I notice you took my quiz on where state revenues come from over on local politics.

Were you surprised how much came in from gambling?

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:02 am

No, not really.

So why is that revenue 'ill-gotten'?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:48 am

Because it is like a regressive tax in that it tends to take money from those least able to pay and/or have an addiction to gambling.

It is a subjective judgment on my part.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down