WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A monkey is the Pope's uncle.

+5
darth omar
ziggy
Stephanie
SamCogar
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

A monkey is the Pope's uncle. Empty A monkey is the Pope's uncle.

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed May 28, 2008 5:27 am

God made pre-humans into people, Vatican newspaper says

By Carol Glatz
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- While apes evolved naturally into pre-human creatures, it was the will and desire of God that turned them into humans, an article in the Vatican newspaper said.

"The formation of human beings necessitated a particular contribution by God, though it remains that their emergence was brought about by natural causes" of evolution, it said.

The article, published in the May 5-6 edition of L'Osservatore Romano, was written by Italian evolutionary biologist Fiorenzo Facchini.

The article said that, "when the biological conditions necessary for supporting a being capable of reflective thought were attained, the will of God, the creator, freely desired it, and man came to be."

The article posed the question: Does this mean that humans evolved from chimpanzees?

"No, it might be better to say that at some point God willed a spark of intelligence to light up in the mind of a nonhuman hominid and thus came into existence the human as a being, as a subject capable of thought and the ability to decide freely," it said.

So rather than picturing it as humans descending from the apes, it said, humans ascended or rose up from the animal kingdom to a higher level, thanks to the hand of God.

As Pope Benedict XVI wrote in 1968 when he was Father Joseph Ratzinger, God wanted to create a being that could know him and be able to turn to him, the article said.

The emergence of the human is neither a casual or accidental event, nor is it something that was "strictly necessary," demanded by God or the evolutionary process, it said.

Evolution could have ended at the pre-human stage, it said, but thanks to "the free choice of God," humans emerged from their pre-human ancestors.

This divine intervention "does not represent an unwarranted intrusion (of theology) in the field of science -- as is the case with intelligent design -- but is called for in order to explain the presence of man's spirit" which cannot come from or evolve out of the material world, the article said.

The movement from being a creature of the animal and physical world to also the spiritual was a gift from God "even if it came at the end of a natural process of evolution," it said.

END

Last edited by Armon Ayers on Thu May 29, 2008 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

A monkey is the Pope's uncle. Empty Re: A monkey is the Pope's uncle.

Post by SamCogar Wed May 28, 2008 5:38 am

but is called for in order to explain the presence of man's spirit"

And I wonder just what is that "spirit" he is talking about that none of the other higher primates were blessed with? affraid affraid affraid

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed May 28, 2008 6:05 am

SamCogar wrote:

And I wonder just what is that "spirit" he is talking about that none of the other higher primates were blessed with? affraid affraid affraid

This is a new twist on we descended from apes--this means that Adam's and Eve's parents were apes, i.e. subhumans!
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed May 28, 2008 7:44 am

Armon Ayers wrote:
SamCogar wrote:

This is a new twist on we descended from apes--this means that Adam's and Eve's parents were apes, i.e. subhumans!

AAAAAWWWW, silly man, ...... we are apes, ..... no decending required. To wit:

Apes are the members of the Hominoidea superfamily of primates, which includes humans. Under the current classification system there are two families of hominoids:

1. the family Hylobatidae consists of 4 genera and 13 species of gibbons, including the Lar Gibbon and the Siamang, collectively known as the "lesser apes"

2. the family Hominidae consisting of orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, and humans, collectively known as the great apes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape

Us humans are also referred to as the "naked ape" and the "acquatic ape".

And the only "subhumans" there are, ........ are those humans that don't act as humans should be acting.

And there is sure as hell plenty of them. Razz Razz Razz

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed May 28, 2008 8:44 am

SamCogar wrote:

And the only "subhumans" there are, ........ are those humans that don't act as humans should be acting.

Sam,
I just love your self-deprecating humor. jocolor jocolor jocolor
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed May 28, 2008 9:48 am

A few weeks ago, the Vatican said that it is alright for Catholics to believe in ETs--"if there are ETs, then God created them." Really? "Created them?" Why didn't he use the monkey-business process on them, as well?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed May 28, 2008 10:53 am

Armon Ayers wrote:A few weeks ago, the Vatican said that it is alright for Catholics to believe in ETs--"if there are ETs, then God created them." Really? "Created them?" Why didn't he use the monkey-business process on them, as well?

WHAT, ....... you doubt that there are ET's?

My gawd man, ….. that is heretical is it not?

Why the Bible itself makes 3 or 4 references to ET's ...... and you have the audacity to question their existance.

Fer shame, ........ fer shame.

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed May 28, 2008 10:58 am

SamCogar wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:A few weeks ago, the Vatican said that it is alright for Catholics to believe in ETs--"if there are ETs, then God created them." Really? "Created them?" Why didn't he use the monkey-business process on them, as well?

WHAT, ....... you doubt that there are ET's?

My gawd man, ….. that is heretical is it not?

Why the Bible itself makes 3 or 4 references to ET's ...... and you have the audacity to question their existance.

Fer shame, ........ fer shame.

The only ETs mentioned in the Bible are Angels, Demons and the Son of God.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed May 28, 2008 11:19 am

You don't do much reading through the Bible, do you?

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed May 28, 2008 10:56 pm

SamCogar wrote:You don't do much reading through the Bible, do you?

Educate me.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed May 28, 2008 11:21 pm

Wouldn't that make the monkey the Pope's uncle, not the other way around?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Wed May 28, 2008 11:37 pm

Stephanie wrote:Wouldn't that make the monkey the Pope's uncle, not the other way around?

Wouldn't that make the monkey ALL our uncles?
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu May 29, 2008 7:10 am

Armon Ayers wrote:

Educate me.

Armony, since I figure you will argue with anything I say if I don't cite a Book, Chapter, Verse reference ...... I will cite this url reference whereby someone has already provided many of said.

Here below I have extracted 7 of the many that are noted:

Spacecraft and Extraterrestrials in the Bible and History
http://www.sanandaseagles.com/pages/spacecraft_in_bible.html

2 SAMUEL 22:10 He bowed the heavens also, and came down; and darkness was under his feet. 11 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: and he was seen upon the wings of the wind.

2 KINGS 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

2 KINGS 6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

ISAIAH 60:8 Who are these that fly as a cloud, and as the doves to their windows

EZEKIEL 1:4 And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.

ZECHARIAH 5:1 Then I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a flying roll. 2 And he said unto me, What seest thou? And I answered, I see a flying roll; the length thereof is twenty cubits, and the breadth thereof ten cubits.

REVELATION 10:1 And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:

Now Armony, if per chance you choose to critique those references, ........ be very, very, very careful about the verbiage you use.

I say that because such Bibllical text is either fact or fiction, inclusive.

Ya can't have it both ways, pickin n' choosin which ones ya want which way.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Thu May 29, 2008 7:45 am

SamCogar wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:

Educate me.

Armony, since I figure you will argue with anything I say if I don't cite a Book, Chapter, Verse reference ...... I will cite this url reference whereby someone has already provided many of said.

Here below I have extracted 7 of the many that are noted:

Spacecraft and Extraterrestrials in the Bible and History
http://www.sanandaseagles.com/pages/spacecraft_in_bible.html

2 SAMUEL 22:10 He bowed the heavens also, and came down; and darkness was under his feet. 11 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: and he was seen upon the wings of the wind.

2 KINGS 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

2 KINGS 6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

ISAIAH 60:8 Who are these that fly as a cloud, and as the doves to their windows

EZEKIEL 1:4 And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.

ZECHARIAH 5:1 Then I turned, and lifted up mine eyes, and looked, and behold a flying roll. 2 And he said unto me, What seest thou? And I answered, I see a flying roll; the length thereof is twenty cubits, and the breadth thereof ten cubits.

REVELATION 10:1 And I saw another mighty angel come down from heaven, clothed with a cloud: and a rainbow was upon his head, and his face was as it were the sun, and his feet as pillars of fire:

Now Armony, if per chance you choose to critique those references, ........ be very, very, very careful about the verbiage you use.

I say that because such Bibllical text is either fact or fiction, inclusive.

Ya can't have it both ways, pickin n' choosin which ones ya want which way.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

So, are you saying that you believe the Bible?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu May 29, 2008 9:30 am

Armon, I assume by that reply that you have chosen not to continue discussing Biblical ET's any further. Razz

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by darth omar Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:46 am

Armon Ayers wrote:God made pre-humans into people, Vatican newspaper says

By Carol Glatz
Catholic News Service

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- While apes evolved naturally into pre-human creatures, it was the will and desire of God that turned them into humans, an article in the Vatican newspaper said.

"The formation of human beings necessitated a particular contribution by God, though it remains that their emergence was brought about by natural causes" of evolution, it said.

The article, published in the May 5-6 edition of L'Osservatore Romano, was written by Italian evolutionary biologist Fiorenzo Facchini.

The article said that, "when the biological conditions necessary for supporting a being capable of reflective thought were attained, the will of God, the creator, freely desired it, and man came to be."

The article posed the question: Does this mean that humans evolved from chimpanzees?

"No, it might be better to say that at some point God willed a spark of intelligence to light up in the mind of a nonhuman hominid and thus came into existence the human as a being, as a subject capable of thought and the ability to decide freely," it said.

So rather than picturing it as humans descending from the apes, it said, humans ascended or rose up from the animal kingdom to a higher level, thanks to the hand of God.

As Pope Benedict XVI wrote in 1968 when he was Father Joseph Ratzinger, God wanted to create a being that could know him and be able to turn to him, the article said.

The emergence of the human is neither a casual or accidental event, nor is it something that was "strictly necessary," demanded by God or the evolutionary process, it said.

Evolution could have ended at the pre-human stage, it said, but thanks to "the free choice of God," humans emerged from their pre-human ancestors.

This divine intervention "does not represent an unwarranted intrusion (of theology) in the field of science -- as is the case with intelligent design -- but is called for in order to explain the presence of man's spirit" which cannot come from or evolve out of the material world, the article said.

The movement from being a creature of the animal and physical world to also the spiritual was a gift from God "even if it came at the end of a natural process of evolution," it said.

END

A monkey could not be the Pope's uncle because we are not descended from monkeys, but rather, if I might indulge in the sort of pedantry the materialists are famous for, some putative ape-like critter that none one has ever seen or has evidence for.

And some wonder why evolution is commonly thought of as a religion.

But I digress. I agree that there is nothing in the laws of chemistry or Nature itself, that makes human evolution anything resembling a neccessity. Indeed, there are all sorts of reasons that make us being here absurdly improbable, if not outright impossible.

But yet, here we are.

I agree that God created us to have a relationship with Him; however, as rational a thought as that is, it clearly belongs outside of science in theology.

I disagree that intelligent design is religion. Intelligent design is using science to try and finally settle the age old question of whether the design that everyone concedes is present in biology is real or just apparent; that is, whether or not things like bacterial flagella are the products of an intelligence agency or whether they just look like they are.

As much as I would like to agree with the Italian evolutionary biologist/theologian on every point in the article I can't. I think he has read too much anti-ID propaganda and it has influenced his thinking to such a degree that he doesn't even know when he is making a religious proclamation, himself.

At any rate, the materialists will never concede that there is something about being human that lies beyond the creative power of their Twin Gods, Random Mutation and Natural Selection.

darth omar

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Back to top Go down

Post by darth omar Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:00 pm

SamCogar wrote:
Armon Ayers wrote:
SamCogar wrote:

AAAAAWWWW, silly man, ...... we are apes, ..... no decending required. To wit:

Apes are the members of the Hominoidea superfamily of primates, which includes humans. Under the current classification system there are two families of hominoids:

1. the family Hylobatidae consists of 4 genera and 13 species of gibbons, including the Lar Gibbon and the Siamang, collectively known as the "lesser apes"

2. the family Hominidae consisting of orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees, and humans, collectively known as the great apes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape

Us humans are also referred to as the "naked ape" and the "acquatic ape".

As well there should be, Sammy. If we truly are descended from sub-humans then it would only be due to incredible luck that all presently extant groups of humans would be sufficiently separated from their subhuman ancestors to not be considered a sub-human group, themselves. Or, 'less evolved', as it were.

Ah but, wouldn't ya know it, it just so happens that is the case.

Amazing thing, that evolution.

darth omar

Back to top Go down

Post by TerryRC Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:06 am

A monkey could not be the Pope's uncle because we are not descended from monkeys, but rather, if I might indulge in the sort of pedantry the materialists are famous for, some putative ape-like critter that none one has ever seen or has evidence for.

You would be wrong about that. Transitional hominid and proto-hominid forms have been discovered. Even if we can't prove that some of them were our immediate ancestors, it shows these transitional forms DO exist.

Intelligent design is using science to try and finally settle the age old question of whether the design that everyone concedes is present in biology is real or just apparent; that is, whether or not things like bacterial flagella are the products of an intelligence agency or whether they just look like they are.

How? How does one do that?

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:04 pm

A monkey is the Pope's uncle. S3amib2

A monkey is the Pope's uncle. Hominid_cladogram

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:35 pm

I disagree that intelligent design is religion. Intelligent design is using science to try and finally settle the age old question of whether the design that everyone concedes is present in biology is real or just apparent; that is, whether or not things like bacterial flagella are the products of an intelligence agency or whether they just look like they are.

(bold emphasis added by Ziggy)

Or is apparent "design" simply assigned by the human mind in an effort to make some sense of it all- as a starting point for further speculation and investigation?
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:00 am

All organized Religions are based in/on

fear and ignorance

A monkey is the Pope's uncle. 249131 A monkey is the Pope's uncle. 249131 A monkey is the Pope's uncle. 249131

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by darth omar Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:06 pm

TerryRC wrote:A monkey could not be the Pope's uncle because we are not descended from monkeys, but rather, if I might indulge in the sort of pedantry the materialists are famous for, some putative ape-like critter that none one has ever seen or has evidence for.

You would be wrong about that. Transitional hominid and proto-hominid forms have been discovered. Even if we can't prove that some of them were our immediate ancestors, it shows these transitional forms DO exist.

But isn't that the point? None of these transitional forms become transitional forms until one assumes that humans evolved from some 'proto-human' at the outset. I believe philosophers call that 'begging the question'.

Who knows, maybe they did. I don't see where the evidence is all that compelling, irrespective of ID or Genesis.

TerryRC wrote:Intelligent design is using science to try and finally settle the age old question of whether the design that everyone concedes is present in biology is real or just apparent; that is, whether or not things like bacterial flagella are the products of an intelligence agency or whether they just look like they are.

How? How does one do that?

The same way SETI uses the tools of science to search for intelligent signals from outerspace. There is no really good reason [this side of philosophical bias] that science can't be used to settle such questions. It involves religion only secondarily insofar as such questions inevitably carry implications for religious thought.

darth omar

Back to top Go down

Post by darth omar Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:37 pm

ziggy wrote:

(bold emphasis added by Ziggy)

Or is apparent "design" simply assigned by the human mind in an effort to make some sense of it all- as a starting point for further speculation and investigation?

Good question, Zigmiester.

The human mind readily recognizes design. I don't know how well versed you are in microbiology but at the cellular level 'apparent design' abounds. One unfortunate consequence of the ID'ers use of the flagellum as sort of mascot for ID is that it gives the impression that the flagellum is the only thing or cellular entity looks and acts designed.

That couldn't be farther from the truth. EVERYTHING at the microscopic biological level looks and acts as if it were designed. Moreover, it is a level of 'apparent' design that far exceeds anything the most brilliant of human engineers can drum up.

So the question becomes how long do we persist with relegating such things to 'just looking like they were designed'?

There are only two reasons I can think of and one is less legitimate than the other: One is that science operates via methodological naturalism; that is, in order to keep theology from encroaching into the realm of science, science must confine all explanations and hypotheses to purely naturalistic causes. Which is all well and good if we are talking about explaining gravity or lightening.

However, when you get into explaining how man came to exist you have left 'strict' science in the sense that how we came to be here is at least, in part, an historical question. Therefore to unduly adhere to the guiding principle of methodoligical naturalism in such instances is to effectively guarantee the conclusion that Nature put us here all on Her own.

Philosophically, the reasoning could hardly be more circular.

The second and more insidious reason to persist with such thinking is due to sheer bias. In this instance the 'guiding principle' of methodological naturalism becomes a dogma that protects a favored worldview.

Yes, Sammy, organized religion is based on fear and ignorance. In this instance Her name is materialism and she is institutionalized in a mighty way.

Actually, religion is not the enemy of human enlightenment. History is replete with religionists that have given us everything from algebra to genetics.

The enemy is dogma.

darth omar

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:55 pm

There are only two reasons I can think of and one is less legitimate than the other: One is that science operates via methodological naturalism; that is, in order to keep theology from encroaching into the realm of science, science must confine all explanations and hypotheses to purely naturalistic causes. Which is all well and good if we are talking about explaining gravity or lightening.

Were lightning and gravity always hypothesized and explained by non-theological, scientific / naturalistic causes?

We know- or at least think we know- more about lightning and gravity than we do about how man came to exist. When we know more about how man came to exist, we will see that, too, as a more naturalistic and a less theological cause.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:06 pm

ziggy wrote:We know- or at least think we know- more about gravity than we do about how man came to exist.

PHOOEY

SamCogar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next