WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Senator Byrd's friend in a jam

+4
Stephanie
ohio county
Aaron
shermangeneral
8 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Senator Byrd's friend in a jam - Page 2 Empty Re: Senator Byrd's friend in a jam

Post by shermangeneral Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:26 am

When you are in public life u have to be careful when friends want to do u favors.

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Senator Byrd's friend in a jam - Page 2 Empty Re: Senator Byrd's friend in a jam

Post by ohio county Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:29 am

I wouldn't have a lowlife like Stevens for a friend.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:31 am

Stevens and Byrd, among other long serving Senators, have been doing each other favors for 50 years. How do you think each has brought home so much pork?
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:52 am

Incidentally, Sen. Byrd has taken no trips in the last three years. I doubt he's able.

In 2004, the farthest back opensecrets.org has records he took seven trips. Two to Boston were paid for by the democrat convention. Five to various cities were paid for by W. W. Norton to shill for a book he'd written.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/CIDsummary.php?CID=N00002200&year=2004
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:26 am

SamCogar wrote:
Stephanie wrote:People who take an oath to serve and uphold the law should be held to a higher standard than the rest of the citizenry, not a lower one.

"NO", ...... they should be held accountable to the Oath that they swore to uphold.

I disagree, Sam.

When an individual convinces the public to trust them to make and uphold the laws of their community, or their state, or this country, they should never receive any breaks from law enforcement, prosecutors, or government agencies. Too often these individuals use the power and influence bestowed upon them when they take that oath, which always includes upholding the law, they use the power of their position to threaten those who would turn them in.

This is the precise reason I find it imperative a guy like Eliot Spitzer face the harshest penalties provided under the law for his crime. Spitzer, and men like him, garner all kinds of money, power, and prestige with the laws they pass and the notariety they gain and the way they use the influence of the office entrusted to them on our behalf. Spitzer wouldn't hesitate to send an individual convicted of the crimes he is accused of to prison for a lengthy term, destroying lives along the way.

To my way of thinking, if I'm a judge who has leeway in handing out a sentence, or a prosecutor capable of making deals, I would come down far harder on a well-educated, affluent, elected official who has broken laws he or she is sworn to uphold than anyone else. A US Senator or a US Representative or an Attorney General knows the law far better than 90% of the general population and they make a conscious decision to violate laws they demand be obeyed by the rest of us.

That's why I say they must be held accountable to a higher standard. Stevens should face a trial or plead guilty period. If he is convicted he should face the maximum penalty under the law, as should Spitzer. One of the most important functions of our judicial system is detering crime. What deterent is it if Stevens gets a slap on the wrist for violating the public trust because of his greed and avarice?

Let him rot.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:32 am

They're public servants. They ought to be making me a sandwich.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:36 am

How about a nice pulled pork samich Jimmy?

Mention pork and I'm sure Byrd will do everything he can to accommodate.

Senator Byrd's friend in a jam - Page 2 33948 Senator Byrd's friend in a jam - Page 2 33948 Senator Byrd's friend in a jam - Page 2 33948
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:55 am

Pulled pork? You had me at pork.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:14 am

And all this for the low, low price of $165,000 per year.

On the one hand, I don't have much economic sympathy for anyone who is paid $165,000 a year, plus "perks". But a relevant part of the economic equation would be what does it cost to live and work in the D.C. area? Answer: a hell of a lot more than it costs to live and work in Ripley WV.

I've read that when Byrd spends time traveling in WV he stays at low budget motels, eats modestly priced stuff, and is not at all flambyant on a personal level. I don't like the old Byrd. But I respect some of his modest habits of personal economy. Many of us would do well to adopt such personal economies to our own lifestyles.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:48 am

I'm sorry but I have difficulty working up much admiration for a guy who, when addressing his constituency, refers to himself as "Big Daddy".
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:16 pm

Stephanie wrote:I'm sorry but I have difficulty working up much admiration for a guy who, when addressing his constituency, refers to himself as "Big Daddy".

Byrd did not coin that term for himself- someone else did. But he did play it up for a political crowd- and which I would have likely walked out on had I been there. While his more recent personal personna is respectable, his political personna is and always has been as a political jackass, in my opinion.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:42 pm

I know he didn't coin the phrase, but he used it.

I don't admire him, but I can't help but feel sorry for him ever since I attempted to watch him give a "speech" on the floor of the Senate. It made me feel the same way I did the last time Betty Davis appeared at the Oscars.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:57 pm

Perhaps in addition to term limits there needs to be an age limit as well.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:59 pm

Maybe.

But many would argue that Byrd still has more sense than most of the republicans.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:01 pm

Yes, we have one here right now.
ohio county
ohio county

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:07 pm

Yeah, they used to say the same thing about Strom Thurmond as well. And unlike Thurmond, he very well may have his wits about him, for now that is. But the fact that it takes him 15 minutes to give a 5 minute speech says he needs to go.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:55 pm

Well I don't know what to tell you. The people of this state have spoken and the WV Democratic Party has spoken. The people of this state are more interested in how much pork Byrd can bring in than sound economic policy. The WVD's are banking on the idea that a Democrat will be sitting in the Governor's office when the Senator dies or is incapable of keeping his head up or his eyes opened.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:18 pm

Well Steph if and when Sen Byrd ever passes on his will be tough shoes to fill.

I know she would not be appointed but Charlotte Pritt would be a good candidate to challenge for the seat.

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:42 pm

Aaron wrote:Yeah, they used to say the same thing about Strom Thurmond as well. And unlike Thurmond, he very well may have his wits about him, for now that is. But the fact that it takes him 15 minutes to give a 5 minute speech says he needs to go.

There seems to be a near consensus that Barack Obama can give a mighty fine "speech". Does that make him a good presidential candidate, or a good Senator? I am not sure that it does- nor that speech making ability, or the lack thereof, is a good indication of a politician's worth.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:30 pm

ziggy wrote:
Aaron wrote:Yeah, they used to say the same thing about Strom Thurmond as well. And unlike Thurmond, he very well may have his wits about him, for now that is. But the fact that it takes him 15 minutes to give a 5 minute speech says he needs to go.

There seems to be a near consensus that Barack Obama can give a mighty fine "speech". Does that make him a good presidential candidate, or a good Senator? I am not sure that it does- nor that speech making ability, or the lack thereof, is a good indication of a politician's worth.

Ziggy,

For me, it is a matter about this man, so beloved by the citizens he has served for so long, losing his dignity.

Obviously I am not a fan of Senator Byrd, yet I think he has, and for most of his career, always has had good intentions. It saddens me to see him, or anyone, paraded about like this. He should have retired with dignity. That train left the station and it makes me feel sad for him and for the people of this state who so love him.

I don't know who has any influence with Robert Byrd. I just think those closest to him should have encouraged him to retire. I suppose it is possible they did, but I doubt it. I think when the time came for him to make a decision, there were people very close to him who hoped to get a few more miles off of their association with the Senator. I don't know this to be fact, but I suspect Anne Barth is one of them. I also think that Joe Manchin and other party leaders did nothing to dissuade him or those encouraging him to run for another term.

Now that is all conjecture on my part. Nobody has put that bug in my ear or given me any ideas about it. That's why I think of Betty Davis at the Oscars. Those close to her should have prevented her from appearing in public that way. I am a HUGE fan of Ms. Davis and it really pisses me off that for many people that is how she will be remembered. Does Robert Byrd really deserve to be remembered as a frail old man who can't turn the pages to his speeches? I don't think so, but for an awful lot of young people, that is precisely what their image of him will be.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ziggy Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:57 pm

For me, it is a matter about this man, so beloved by the citizens he has served for so long, losing his dignity.

I partially agree.

But on the other hand, I don't lose much sleep over the "dignity" of a former Ku Klux Klan activist.
ziggy
ziggy

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:02 pm

I know, I hear you. I'm sure he regrets that and there are some things you just can't atone for.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:32 pm

Well dont you guys believe in repentance and redemption?

shermangeneral

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:08 pm

It's only for democrats, right Sherm!!!
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:08 am

shermangeneral wrote:Well dont you guys believe in repentance and redemption?

I don't believe it is for me to forgive repentent former Klansmen.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next