WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Senator Byrd's friend in a jam

+4
Stephanie
ohio county
Aaron
shermangeneral
8 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Senator Byrd's friend in a jam - Page 4 Empty Re: Senator Byrd's friend in a jam

Post by ziggy Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:38 pm

Stephanie wrote:Forgive me, Ziggy. I think our friend Craig has been drinking Daily Kos koolaid or something. I've never heard that before either. Jimmy, on the other hand, has. I attribute this to my long held opinion that Jimmy finds it important to know what far-left extremists are saying and doing.

Jimmy is a lot smarter than me.

Damn am I ever glad you said that instead of me. If I'd said that, you would have nailed me to the forum outhouse door.
ziggy
ziggy

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Senator Byrd's friend in a jam - Page 4 Empty Re: Senator Byrd's friend in a jam

Post by Stephanie Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:16 am

LOL It's true. I think most of you are more intelligent than I am. That doesn't necessarily mean I think you're all right all the time.

I have learned new things from everyone who's been posting here for any length of time. I suspect I'll learn a trick or two from Ladylike and Omar in the not too distant future.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:43 am

Nope. When Thomas Jefferson said that "all men are created equal" he was echoing John Locke who had proffered a slightly more complicated version. While a large man might be logically expected to dominate smaller men, any man has cunning and can slip a knife into his opponents back. More directly, Locke said, of all the human attributes none is more universally appreciated than each individual's own intelligence and each man or woman is happy with his own share. I appreciate the hat tip but think you have more of an appreciation for my ability to bull...er...pontificate.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 am

It is a gift, Jim.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SFCraig Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Stephanie wrote:You love to spin stuff, don't you?

And as a westerner Reagan had fully associated himself with the "Sagebrush Rebellion," for whom "states' rights" had no racial content,

Are you, and others on the far left suggesting, that states' rights can never be mentioned in the state of Mississippi again, or what?

Does this not mean that outside of the West, "states rights" had a racial content?

SFCraig

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:41 am

No, it does not. You're taking something out of context and putting your own little spin on it. You're implying that President Reagan was pandering to racists and this is all you've got. It's pathetic.

You didn't like Reagan, talk about things he actually did and said.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SFCraig Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:58 pm

Stephanie wrote:No, it does not. You're taking something out of context and putting your own little spin on it. You're implying that President Reagan was pandering to racists and this is all you've got. It's pathetic.

You've got your head in the sand. I've shown you CONSERVATIVES who've written that Reagan must have known that Civil Rights Workers were slain in the racist stronghold of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, where Blacks were lynched for attempting to vote. Where State's Rights was the code word for "lynching...Federal Government Stay Out".

I hated Reagan, true. Was he a racist? Probably not. Was he pandering to that important base a la Southern Strategy? Absolutely.

Racists have to have their candidate too. Unfortunately for the GOP and America, the GOP chose to absorb those voters into their bloc. I guess a win's a win, but if you have to win THAT way I'd rather lose.

Here's another:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/13/AR2005071302342.html

RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes

It was called "the southern strategy," started under Richard M. Nixon in 1968, and described Republican efforts to use race as a wedge issue -- on matters such as desegregation and busing -- to appeal to white southern voters.

Mehlman said, "Some Republicans gave up on winning the African American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

Whatever could he mean?

SFCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by ohio county Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:19 am

He's pandering to you.
ohio county
ohio county

Number of posts : 3207

Back to top Go down

Post by SFCraig Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:10 pm

I see. That conservatives everywhere, including the RNC chairman acknowledge the racist strategies, would somehow make me vote for a Republican?

Kevin Phillips wrote "The Emerging Republican Majority" and was a Senior strategist for Nixon. He admits his role in popularizing racial issues to woo southern whites over racial issues.

Do you deny this too?

SFCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by shermangeneral Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Well OC I am not surprised to hear the others deny it, but I really figured you would acknowledge the republican "southern strategy".

shermangeneral

Number of posts : 1347
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:48 am

SFCraig wrote:
Stephanie wrote:No, it does not. You're taking something out of context and putting your own little spin on it. You're implying that President Reagan was pandering to racists and this is all you've got. It's pathetic.

You've got your head in the sand. I've shown you CONSERVATIVES who've written that Reagan must have known that Civil Rights Workers were slain in the racist stronghold of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, where Blacks were lynched for attempting to vote. Where State's Rights was the code word for "lynching...Federal Government Stay Out".

I hated Reagan, true. Was he a racist? Probably not. Was he pandering to that important base a la Southern Strategy? Absolutely.

Racists have to have their candidate too. Unfortunately for the GOP and America, the GOP chose to absorb those voters into their bloc. I guess a win's a win, but if you have to win THAT way I'd rather lose.

Here's another:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/13/AR2005071302342.html

RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes

It was called "the southern strategy," started under Richard M. Nixon in 1968, and described Republican efforts to use race as a wedge issue -- on matters such as desegregation and busing -- to appeal to white southern voters.

Mehlman said, "Some Republicans gave up on winning the African American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

Whatever could he mean?

You're pointing your finger at Reagan based upon what somebody else says he must have been thinking decades ago? What, are all conservatives mind readers now?

If that's not bad enough, now you're going back 40 years and attacking Nixon. Both of these men are dead and neither has held office for 20 years. Why not take a good long look at your own party of choice and consider the pandering that goes on there? Or doesn't the pandering count when it's being catered to, or committed by, blacks?

I'll tell you what, you take responsibility for the hateful, vile, racist rhetoric of noted Democrats like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton and maybe then I'll waste a moment of my precious time worrying about whether or not Richard Nixon was pandering to white racists. Until then, try selling it to somebody else.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4