WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Israel Strikes Hamas (Worst in 60 years!)

+3
Aaron
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Keli
7 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Israel Strikes Hamas (Worst in 60 years!) Empty Israel Strikes Hamas (Worst in 60 years!)

Post by Keli Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:01 pm

Israel Strikes Hamas (Worst in 60 years!)

However, they only hit:
--one wedding party.
--two birthday parties for handicapped children.
--three milk factories.
--four ACORN offices...
--and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

Last edited by Keli on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keli
Keli

Number of posts : 3608
Location : Zarr Chasm, WV--between Flotsam and Belch on the Cheat River
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Back to top Go down

Israel Strikes Hamas (Worst in 60 years!) Empty Re: Israel Strikes Hamas (Worst in 60 years!)

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:30 pm

Iran well not retaliate yet--hoping to get a better deal with a Muslim president in the Oval Office.
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Israel Strikes Hamas (Worst in 60 years!) Empty Re: Israel Strikes Hamas (Worst in 60 years!)

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:57 am

If the Shiite backed Hezbollah starts shooting rockets and missles in defense of the Sunni backed Hammas, then it would be a first for two factions that have been warring for 600 years and could lead to a new era in the middle east.

Hezbollah watches for now as Israel hits Hamas
By SAM F. GHATTAS, Associated Press Writer Sam F. Ghattas, Associated Press Writer 39 mins ago
BEIRUT, Lebanon – Lebanon's powerful Hezbollah guerrilla — widely seen as the Arab world's most effective force against Israel — has vowed to support Palestinian ally Hamas under the barrage of Israeli warplanes but has for now held its fire, constrained by its own political goals and fears of mass retaliation.

Hezbollah possesses a formidable arsenal of rockets and missiles that bloodied Israel during a monthlong war between them in 2006. Now, the Iranian- and Syrian-backed Shiite Muslim militant group faces domestic constraints on reopening a fight against Israel.

A massive retaliation Israel has threatened to unleash in case of any renewed Hezbollah rocket bombardment could hurt Hezbollah's political power growing in Lebanon since 2006, particularly if the Lebanese see it as drawing the country into another war.

So Hezbollah is instead playing the propaganda card, calling for protests in Lebanon and across the Middle East to pressure Arab governments to act against Israel.

Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah drew tens of thousands, waving Palestinian, Hezbollah and Lebanese flags, for a rally Monday in his south Beirut stronghold. He professed that Israel's Gaza offensive will ultimately fail.

Nasrallah put his men on alert in southern Lebanon in case Israel attacks and claimed he was ready to fight back if provoked. He promised not to abandon Hamas. The Islamic Sunni group is also backed by Hezbollah allies Iran and Syria.

But he made no threat to open fire on northern Israel to relieve Gaza — an act that would certainly provoke another war with Israel.

Hezbollah "cannot afford to enter a full-scale war with Israel, which would be devastating for Lebanon," said Paul Salem, Beirut-based director of the Carnegie Middle East Center, an arm of the Washington-based Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

source
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:57 am

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1230456525700&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Well according to this the Israelis made thousands of phone calls to warn civilians in the area they would be targeting.

And the civilians in the area welcome Israel's assault against the Hamas bad guys...

"Olmert stressed that Israel would strike Hamas with an "iron fist" but would treat Gaza civilians with "kid gloves" in its humanitarian effort.

During the meeting, security officials said that the IDF had given telephone warnings to some 90,000 Gazans living near Hamas facilities targeted by the IAF. They stressed that the sites were only bombed after civilians had left their homes. Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) head Yuval Diskin said that Hamas leaders, including its prime minister, Ismail Haniyeh, had gone into hiding, much to the chagrin of Gaza residents. He also said there was a degree of satisfaction among Gaza civilians over the IDF operation against the terror group."

sodbuster

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2008-09-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:23 pm

If I'm not mistaken, weren't the Hammas "bad guys" democratically elected AFTER the United States pushed for elections in Gaza?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Yes they apparently were.

But that is irrelevant if they continue to shoot rockets into Israel.

Just being elected does not give the right to attack your neighbor country.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:38 pm

No, it doesn't give them the right to shoot missles or rockets into Israel. And as a result of their actions, they should and will suffer the consequences but that wasn't the reason for my post.

You stated "the civilians in the area welcome Israel's assault against the Hamas bad guys" and I find that a little difficult to believe since those very civilians are the people who overwhelmingly elected Hamas over the Fatah party by a 3 to 1 margin (is that a mandate) in 2006 under the democratic elections the US and Israel demanded.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:50 pm

Well Aaron perhaps I did not make clear that it was not my statement.

I was referring to the source which I posted...

"Well according to this..."

and....

"He also said there was a degree of satisfaction among Gaza civilians over the IDF operation against the terror group."

Last edited by sodbuster on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:22 pm

You don't suppose the author could be a tad biased, do you Sod?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:43 pm

Of course he is biased.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Hamas has a right to defend Gaza. Do you not thing the blockade that has led to such widespread suffering, shortage of food, medical supplies, and power etc is not an act of war?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:25 pm

Here's the problem I have with that Stephanie, and please don't take it as me excusing Israel but Gaza also shares a border with Egypt. They could get supplies in any time they wanted to but it is Egypt is honoring the blockade.

In fact, they are not only honoring the blockade, they are shooting Palestinians who are trying to flee Gaza and get away from the Israeli strikes.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:32 pm

Aaron wrote:Here's the problem I have with that Stephanie, and please don't take it as me excusing Israel but Gaza also shares a border with Egypt. They could get supplies in any time they wanted to but it is Egypt is honoring the blockade.

In fact, they are not only honoring the blockade, they are shooting Palestinians who are trying to flee Gaza and get away from the Israeli strikes.

So because the Egyptians participate that makes it acceptable?

Something you forget, Egypt is second to only Israel when it comes to US aid. Egyptian land was returned by the Israelis after the Camp David Peace agreement. Egypt is doing what is best for Egypt, not what is best for Gazans.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:36 pm

I didn't say it was acceptable. But if Israel is conducting acts of war, then Egypt, an Arab nation, is guilty as well.
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:39 pm

I agree, but the US share responsibility in this as we fund them both.

The Arab world knows this. They know we fund and arm and protect Israel and they know that the Egyptians have been bought and paid for. Don't think the Palestinians don't know this, or that Hezbollah doesn't know this or tha Al Qaeda doesn't know these things.

Their culture is different but they can read and write and understand. Why is it so difficult to understand why they would hate the USA?
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:00 am

So Stephanie surely you don't support Hamas shooting rockets indiscriminately into Israel.

Or do you?

And if you don't, what should Israel do?

Just take it till they run out of rockets?

Like Aaron said, even some Arab countries understand Israel should not just stand by while their citizens are terrorized by incoming rockets.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:28 am

Israel should respect her internationally recognized borders. Israel should acknowledge the right to return of the Palestinian people. Israel should tear down the god damned wall they've been constructing and dismantle the settlements in the West Bank. Israel should end the practices of Apartheid and genocide and the ethnic cleansing of the Holy Land.

If Israel behaved like a civilized nation, instead of a power hungry land grabbing militant state the Palestinians wouldn't be interested in desperate, pathetic attempts at the destruction of Israel, in large part because so many of Israel's residents would be Palestinian and in part because they wouldn't be living like animals the world's largest concentration camp denied basic human rights and necessities.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:37 am

Stephanie wrote: Do you not thing the blockade that has led to such widespread suffering, shortage of food, medical supplies, and power etc is not an act of war?

I'll have to ask Raoul about that, ........ Fidel is not taking my phone calls any more.

Israel Strikes Hamas (Worst in 60 years!) 46059

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:55 am

Seems like if they were serious about rooting out the Hamas terrorists they would have done it when this started instead of piddling around giving them time to get their ducks in a row.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:59 am

Why are they terrorists? They were democratically elected by the Palestinian people. Hamas is who Palestinians would turn to when they needed food, or medical care. Israeli aggression created Hamas.

Learn about the history of Hamas and I don't think you'll be quite so quick to label them a terrorist organization.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:07 pm

Well when you indiscriminately shoot rockets into a civilian population it sure seems like the goal is to terrorize.

I think you might make an argument that their terrorist acts are justified easier than you can contend they are not terrorist acts.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:28 pm

So why is Hamas shooting rockets into Israel?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by sodbuster Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:20 pm

http://www.cfr.org/publication/8968/#8

Well I have to go do some stuff.

This gives a good overview of Hamas and answers to your and Steph's questions as to why they are called terrorists and why they are shooting rockets into Israel.

It does not appear likely they will cease their terrorist attacks until they are dealt a serious blow.

sodbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ich bin Ala-awkbarph Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:27 pm

Stephanie wrote:Israel should respect her internationally recognized borders. Israel should acknowledge the right to return of the Palestinian people. Israel should tear down the god damned wall they've been constructing and dismantle the settlements in the West Bank. Israel should end the practices of Apartheid and genocide and the ethnic cleansing of the Holy Land.

If Israel behaved like a civilized nation, instead of a power hungry land grabbing militant state the Palestinians wouldn't be interested in desperate, pathetic attempts at the destruction of Israel, in large part because so many of Israel's residents would be Palestinian and in part because they wouldn't be living like animals the world's largest concentration camp denied basic human rights and necessities.

With all do respect, Stephanie, if Israel does as you say, then Israel would cease to exist. Don't you agree that Israel has the right to exist as free and democratic society in that cesspool of Islamic-fascists surrounding them?
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph

Number of posts : 2310
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:31 pm

From your link.

Hamas
Updated: June 8, 2007

I know what Hamas is and I understand why they are designated a terrorist organization.

My question isn't, philosophically, why are they opposed to Israel? I understand that.

My question was, specifically, why did they start shooting rockets last week that has led to this latest confrontation?
Aaron
Aaron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next