WV Forum for News, Politics, and Sports
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milking the System

+3
SamCogar
ohio county
Ich bin Ala-awkbarph
7 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Milking the System - Page 3 Empty Re: Milking the System

Post by TerryRC Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:51 am

I have several books on the history of public education in the US.

Then you know what I'm saying is correct.

Nor have you addressed the fact that no matter what is required for a diploma in NY state, forcing youngsters to sit through classes that they don't want to take and will not help them achieve their goals and survive in life after education is counter productive.

I thought Latin was useless, until I realized it is the root of the romance languages and can speed learning them.

I thought plane geometry was useless, until I started building my house.

I thought my French classes were useless, until my dad almost took a job in Quebec.

Are you a psychic to know what knowledge is going to be "useful", or is it mostly opinion?

Thanks for the kudos. I always try and make time for home-schooling groups.

TerryRC

Number of posts : 2762
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephanie Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am

A job in Quebec? Give me a break.

If the educrats wish to force a foreign language upon all high school students they should force Spanish on everyone. After all, if the government insists on allowing America to be overrun with illegal hispanic immigrants who refuse to learn our language yet give birth to anchor babies they raise to speak Spanish instead of English as their native tongue, Spanish will eventually prove useful to most Americans, not the tiny minority of Americans who one day may move to Quebec, or France.

I don't think geometry is useless and I don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth...or fingertips, whatever. I don't think the brain trust in Charleston has a crystal ball either. I do know that most students and their families have some sort of clue as to what their interests and aspirations are.
Stephanie
Stephanie
Admin

Number of posts : 6556
Registration date : 2007-12-28

https://gazzfriends.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aaron Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:49 am

Stephanie wrote:I don't think the brain trust in Charleston has a crystal ball either. I do know that most students and their families have some sort of clue as to what their interests and aspirations are.

They also have some sort of clue as to what their intelligence level is. Terry cited classes that he felt at the time were meaningless but upon further review in life, found them to be useful.

Considering Terry has shown that he's got a little bit of intelligence as his PHD display, that’s fine. But what about the kids that aren't quite that intelligent?

Not everyone learns everything the same way and not everyone can learn from a book. I've known more then a couple of people who's eyes glaze over if you start talking geometry but put them on a pool table and they'll take every dime you got.

I think that's what people like Terry forget, is that we all don't learn the same way and we all don't have the same level of intelligence. That's part of the reason our education system is as fouled up as it is.
Aaron
Aaron

Number of posts : 9841

Back to top Go down

Post by SamCogar Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:06 pm

I've known more then a couple of people who's eyes glaze over if you start talking geometry but put them on a pool table and they'll take every dime you got.

And if they understand a little physics ...... they will take your dimes even faster.

SamCogar

Number of posts : 6238

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3